Quantcast

Song of the Day (05Mar06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
didn't find anything birthday-related for today's selection (although i was tempted to pick something off Bert Jansch's _Birthday Blues_), so we will go back to my childhood once again.

back in the day, Cheap Trick was just another power pop band from the Midwest, following in the grand tradition of bands like Big Star, The Raspberries, etc. then they played some shed in Japan and everything changed; they got huge.

well this song pre-dates the Nippon Excitement, coming from the 2nd lp _In Color_. but, it's not from that recording session. a few years back, Cheap Trick recorded a 7" single for Sub Pop, and had fellow Chicagoan Steve Albini as knob twiddler. at first blush the pairing of noted gtr abuser Albini, leader of infamous projects like Big Black, Rapeman, and Shellac, seems a bit bizarre, but do recall the classic single he did covering the Trick's "He's A Whore" (which is one of the all-time best sleeves; parodies of CT on one side and Kraftwerk on the other). so, Steve was fully on-board.

anyway, apparently they used the studio time to re-record in its entirety the _In Color_ lp, and it's found its on various trading networks. if you are a Cheap Trick fan this is essential listening. if not, take a listen and decide for yourself.

Oh Caroline

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
That is a great track!!!

I don't have that release... I will investigate further... the guitar sound does remind me a lot of Big Star, and I wouldn't have probably made that connection if you hadn't of mentioned it... GOOD CALL:thumb: most people don't realize Cheap Trick had more than one song:rolleyes: