Quantcast

Song of the Day (05May06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
this is a late adder...i had a couple of songs uploaded and ready to go, but then as i typed in the date, i realised this was Cinco De Mayo, so this is a more appropriate selection.

Calexico started out as a side project to Giant Sand, w/ rhythm section Joey Burns and John Convertino splintering off from Howe Gelb momentarily to write some of their own songs. they weren't as abstract and loose as Giant Sand, Howe being one of our generation's true eccentrics and visionaries. but that's another story...

i'm not sure why, because i've been listening to Calexico for about 9 years, ever since i found out about their debut Spoke, but the california town they take their name from is a combination of California and Mexico, and that's a very accurate summation of their sound; they also have a great pulp fiction/film noir sound w/ the reverb-drenched guitar sound especially notable on The Black Light. this song is notable for the addition of Mariachi Luz de Luna, local mariachi outfit from their adopted hometown of Tucson (btw, in '90 i happened to have the good timing to catch the mariachi festival during my sole visit to that good city, and it was amazing).

i've seen calexico about 4 times now, and it's been a great experience every time...check 'em out if they come locally to you.

Minas De Cobre

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
johnbryanpeters said:
Having trouble with this one - a little too close to Muzak.
i disagree strongly with this assessment. i quite like this track: it gets the prize :trophy_br

the ambient train noises at the beginning and the thoughtful pace of the intro are nice touches, as are the nice stereo separation on the mix of the strings (left) and the mariachi-esque trumpets (right side). the chords, of course, are nice:

intro, F maj: I6 -- ii-flat (Gb!) - ii6 - I ---, repeat, then ii...
body: I --- vii --- I ----- iv ----- I ----- iv ----- I ----- on to:
interlude, 1:32, Bb min: I -- iii -- V ---- I -- V -- I -- V -- ii643 -- I(note that same flat ii chord resolving to I, only in a different key! very characteristic)
then back to the body.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
new calexico US dates announced:

Calexico has announced several new U.S. tour dates!

September 3: Oakland, CA @ Art & Soul Festival (NO PRESALE)
September 18: New Orleans, LA @ One Eyed Jack’s (18+)
September 19: Athens, GA @ 40 Watt Club
September 20: Carrboro, NC @ Cat’s Cradle*
September 21: Knoxville, TN @ Bijou Theater*
September 22: Louisville, KY @ Headliners Music Hall (18+)*
September 23: St. Louis, MO @ Mississippi Nights*
September 24: Bloomington, IN @ Buskirk-Chumley Theatre*
September 25: Cleveland, OH @ Beachland Ballroom*
September 27: Milwaukee, WI @ Pabst Theater*
September 28: Minneapolis, MN @ Fine Line Music Cafe*
September 29: Iowa City, IA @ Englert Civic Theatre*
September 30: Lawrence, KS @ Bottleneck*

* with Oakley Hall

A limited number of tickets have been held for Calexico fans and will be available through a special presale that begins this Saturday, July 15th at 1 PM Local Time. By buying tickets through our presale, you will be able to get your tickets before anyone else AND save some money on service charges.

Go to http://calexico.ducatking.com to buy tickets.

Visit http://www.ducatking.com to see other shows available through Ducat King Ticketing.