Quantcast

Song of the Day (06Apr06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
most people's awareness of reggae might be limited Bob Marley, or even worse - The Police. well if you fall into this group, start augmenting yr collection w/ a king of dub...Augustus Pablo. this track, featuring the sub-sonic bass which dub is known for, is from a record he'd done w/ noted musician King Tubby (no relation to manimal). Augustus adds a typically nice melody over the top, via the mouth organ.

Young Generation Dub

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Nice selection. A true reggae classic.

Augustus Pablo (aka Horace Swaby) more less brought the melodica which was considered a child's toy into light as a serious musical instrument. His discography is massive. Pablo was not only an accomplished musician but a highly regarded producer and engineer as well. Unfortunately he passed on May 18,1999.

I still have 3 or 4 of the original Rockers 12" 45's on vinyl.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'm hardly a reggae fount of knowledge, but i do know that you can substitute "Lee Perry" for "Augustus Pablo" in Trainwreck's sentence as well.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
binary visions said:
Loved this one :thumb:
:stupid:

I'm one of those people who's Reggae is limited to Marley, Tosh, Burning Spear, 3rd World, etc... I love Reggae in general and liked this a lot. I will be looking for it next time I'm in the record store. (does anyone else still call them record stores?)

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
narlus said:
i'm hardly a reggae fount of knowledge, but i do know that you can substitute "Lee Perry" for "Augustus Pablo" in Trainwreck's sentence as well.
Although not as heavy on the dub tip, I'd say add Lloyd Chalmers to the list.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Horace Andy, Scientist, The Wackies are a few more.

Check out the flick Rockers, too. Good stuff.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
just got a chance to listen to this one... love it... the horn sounds remind me of the SKatalites???

*edit* KEEPER