Quantcast

Song of the Day (06Aug06) [series start]

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
mixing things up a bit...this is an idea i've had for a bit, and the time for unfurling has come. welcome to Essentials of American Indie Rock 101: The Labels...i know a lot of people could probably not give two dingleberries about whatever particular label releases a record, but the smaller labels are certainly forged from the vision of the owner, and it's a good bet that if you like a few of their bands, you will like a large majority. can't say that about the automatons who only sniff out potential chart toppers or rush to get a piece of the next flavor of the month, at the big labels. to that end, i'll be devoting a full week to bands from the label in question. don't bother petitioning me, as the other 3 labels have already been chosen.

so today we start w/ arguably the most important label in the last 15 years...Gerard Cosloy and Chris Lombardi's Matador Records. formed in the early 90s after Gerard retired Homestead (also a great label), it took a small bit to find its mark but has always had a very diverse and interesting roster, which continues to this day. there are plenty of deserving artists who won't make the 7 day cut, but that's not a statement on their relative worth.

i may toss up more than one song for a few of the acts, but today i will start w/ a single salvo from the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. created from the burnt ashes of Pussy Galore (a band which was the catalyst for jon being an ex-classmate of mine @ brown), he refined the musical vision a bit (less metallic clang, more blues swagger) while still retaining the raw sexual energy. Orange is THE record to get, and why this thing didn't storm the public is a great mystery of our time.

Sweat

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
so he was kicked out of brown? i still have no idea what "that's the sweat / of the blues explosion" means. maybe i'm just naive :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
no, he just decided on a different career path.

i think if i told my parents i was leaving brown to form a band called Pussy Galore, i'd have gotten a bit of resistance. :D