Quantcast

Song of the Day (07Apr06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
today's edition is a bit late, as i didn't get to sleep until a few hours ago...trudged into the city to catch noted glaswegian duo Arab Strap, only this time on tour they were augmented by 3 mates for quite the full band sound; the drummer in particular was excellent.

to say that this band has a fixation on the darker side of drinking and fvcking is to say that scotland's occasionally got some cloudy weather. the stories of frustration and failure run deep, and unfurled in manner of quiet beauty and poetry consistent w/ the finest hibernian literature. seriously, aidan moffat's not the most conventional singer, but boy can he write a verse.

The Shy Retirer

here are a couple of pictures i took from last night's show; i've got a ton and haven't really done much PP yet but it'll have to do for now.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Cool.

So how do you go about getting a camera? Any show I have been to it has been a no-no.

Are you using the lens you bought to replace the one that came with your XT?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Really nice. I really like that acoustic / hiphop / techno fusion sound. Real instruments on top of a techno drum beat always sounds so nice to me.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stevew said:
Cool.

So how do you go about getting a camera? Any show I have been to it has been a no-no.
the places i've brought it to are just small clubs...bars, really. capacity of a few hundred, tops. i don't think the band or club really cares, and last night there were a few people taking photos. the litmus test will be Avalon in May, for the Mogwai show...security there tends to be gestapo-esque, so i may call in advance to see what's up.

stevew said:
Are you using the lens you bought to replace the one that came with your XT?
no, it's a 50mm f/1.8 lens. so no zoom, and no wide angle, but it's a really fast, cheap lens which is good for low-light shots. it was only about $80...money well spent, imo. even w/ the lens all the way open, i pretty much have to shoot @ ISO 1600. i've been shooting RAW so i can get the white balance issues straightened out pretty easily, but still have a ton to learn re: post-processing.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Arab Strap is Partsbara backwards.;)
I've been listening to your CDs again. I like the Arab Strap song on that.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
valve bouncer said:
Arab Strap is Partsbara backwards.;)
aye, i forgot about that. :)

speaking of, where is that male sex aid? getting the five finger shuffle in immigration? VB, the record _The Last Romance_ is quite good; check it out if you can.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
narlus said:
aye, i forgot about that. :)

speaking of, where is that male sex aid? getting the five finger shuffle in immigration? VB, the record _The Last Romance_ is quite good; check it out if you can.
i am the mighty arabstrap... no immigration hassles for me... i just walk theough the US citizens line... my wife tells me that i am unable to run for president however :(... oh well, there goes my political aspirations... ;)

our flight, ramstein - baltimore got delayed 27 hours... in landsthul currently... one more night in germany....

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
partsbara said:
i am the mighty arabstrap... no immigration hassles for me... i just walk theough the US citizens line... my wife tells me that i am unable to run for president however :(... oh well, there goes my political aspirations... ;)

our flight, ramstein - baltimore got delayed 27 hours... in landsthul currently... one more night in germany....
Drink it down to the hessian one more time mate. Have a good flight. 10,000 metres straight f*cken down mate.:rofl:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
valve bouncer said:
Drink it down to the hessian one more time mate. Have a good flight. 10,000 metres straight f*cken down mate.:rofl:
hopefully when my body hits the ground at 900 mph, the splatter fest will be far reaching...

i wish the germans would smoke more cigs :nopity:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
trainwreck, glad you liked it. i went through the other photos tonight and picked out a few others worthy of public viewing. . . might get those in a thread in day or two.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
JohnE said:
You ratty b@satard! I have mucho Guiness left, where are you at? I can hop in the rice burner and be in Landstuhl in 30 minutes...

hotel christine in landstuhl... they have a swanky resturant called 'the cockpit'... about 200m away from the twin esso gas stations... radsport wolf is about 40m away from me at the moment...

i believe that we get picked up here @ 1500...

fr-rider

Monkey
Aug 14, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
partsbara said:
An excuse to have a few more beers in HERMLAND...maybe you can hang out with a HERM :evil:

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Never got to mention how much I enjoyed this one. I'm definitely going to look them up. (unless you wanted to send me a link.. ;) )

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
this is another one of the tracks that has found a semi-permanent place on my "narlus" playlist. the combination of strings + bright cymbals + accent of the singer + background oontz-oontz beat really works, imo. e min, jumps into f# minor with the sudden-pop-song-modulation (ie, out of nowhere), but that's my only real grievance with this track.

:thumb: