Quantcast

Song of the Day (07Aug06) [matador #2]

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
today we get to probably the best known Matador act (aside from Liz Phair, who i guess did kick off this series w/ saturday's pick), Pavement. known for inscrutable lyrics and the singer who moistened a thousand indie girl panties, they were 'the' indie band of the 90s, however damning w/ faint praise that title may be. still, they proved that one could rock, be intelligent, and have fun all in one package. here are a couple of bits to test 'em out, but really you should at least own _Slanted and Enchanted_ and _Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain_.

to be contrarian, the songs i select won't be from those...

Embassy Row

Father to a Sister of a Thought

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
hey you ingrates, i posted this @ 5:12AM and no comments?

punks.
i was taking part in four vaginal deliveries and giving two presentations across town :dead: . the presentations weren't bad but i'd much rather have been listening to music the rest of the day...

in any case, i liked "father to a sister" as well as i can like any song with a hint of bluesy twang, but the intro to embassy row absolutely sucked. the rest wasn't too much better. "i'm gonna take a crap / i'm gonna take a crap / i'm gonna take a crap."

right...

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
sorry narlus. i liked them both on the first listen. however, this morning was the only time I got to check them out. Those tracks wouldn't have been my personal selections, but I do like Pavement so they get a little leeway.

Ingratiably yours