Quantcast

Song of the Day (08Aug06) [matador #3]

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
a lot of people probably couldn't take working w/ their spouse for a few years; the proximity might not be good for a long-term relation. well ira kaplan and georgia hubley take this to the extreme, having been in Yo La Tengo for over 20 years...same van, same stage, same recording studio. the bass player james mcnew must feel like the odd man out!

over the last 20 years, they have crafted their velvets-influenced rock to a fine edge...some may find fault w/ their singing abilities, but that's a personal preference; i love georgia's plaintive voice, and ira's fret wreckage is always a sight to behold live. here are a couple of selections, one showcasing their pop side, the other bringing their love of the drone to the forefront (replete w/ gtr freakout).

Double Dare

Blue Line Swinger

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
You picked one of my favorite bands today Narlus!
I approve.:thumb:
And thanks for the preview of the new stuff!

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Some songs and even a couple albums of YLT I truly love. I must say however, after seeing them in concert last year I was very underimpressed and wish they would stop already. It was most probably a Yo fan wet dream, their show, but I was put off by the inordinate amount of folky jamming for 3 hours.. They have an enormous talent base there, I'll give them that. I just don't enjoy everything and I'd be hard pressed to see them live again.

I'll report back when I've reviewed the posted songs. Blue Line Swinger is playing right now and I'm liking it.

Thanks Tim.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Okay, so I'm one of those lazy f*'s that downloads about 20 SOTD's to the desktop and then wholesale on to the iPod all at once for a listen. Well today was download day and I've spent the whole morning at work glancing back at song titles going Damn! that's good! Thanks for all the choice material of late. Excellent! :thumb:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i liked double dare, but blue line swinger is just annoying. make it stop!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ah Toshi...embrace the drone...repetition is something you shouldn't be new to, as a classical music fan. hell, they wear out their motifs until threadbare.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
not the good composers, they didn't. the rule of thumb is that bach used each idea of his exactly 2.5 times. :D

pop music = one idea (half of an idea?) strung out to 4 minutes

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Toshi said:
pop music = one idea (half of an idea?) strung out to 4 minutes
tune into tomorrow's SotD rendition, where i bludgeon the hapless web browser operator w/ a flurry of GBV short but sweet hits. :D