Quantcast

Song of the Day (08Mar06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
last year was a fairly strifeful one for My Morning Jacket...the kentuckian (or is it TN? they are all the same family, right?) band lost two key members (gtr and keys) when the leader Jim James wanted to branch out a bit more musically...or that they were sick of constantly being on the road. either way, it left the band at a bit of a crossroads, after having gradually built steam w/ each of their three previous records. _Z_ finds them as close their pinnacle yet, the songs propelled by James' soaring and distinctive vocals. this ain't no run-of-the-mill smelly hippie jam band.

today's choice was purportedly inspired by the death of a friend; i don't know the details, but give it some time as you listen (and download; it's a fairly large file).

Dondante

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Awesome. Very haunting - one of my favorites you've posted so far. I'm going to go swap it over to my stereo right now and give it another listen.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The noisier it got, the better.

Reminded me of Neil Young for some reason.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I love MMJ... I cant download that file from work but I vaguely know the song, cause I have some of their stuff... I am going over to Limewire to ruin existence as we know it and download the song:thumb:

Narlus, I am sorry about your loss... my thoughts are with you!!!
I have been supper bummed out lately myself, about some lost friendships due to situational BS... and it seams like all of the songs I listen too lately fit the depressed mood... not that it is a bad thing but, I know it is hard to pull myself out of a funk when all the songs I listen to are about rain!!!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
MudGrrl said:
lead singer reminds me of Buckley....
Jeff or Tim? I remember (don't let this sound to lame) crying when I found out that Jeff was missing, and then had drowned... he was an amazing person, musically I don't know a lot of musicians that would take the vocal challenges that he did!!! I have a few bootlegs of his, and I saw him once opening for Juliana Hatfield (I think) all I can say is amazing... I miss all of his potential contributions to the music scene.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
brungeman said:
that track is great... I love the dynamics... really builds some serious emotion!!!:help:
brungemen, i definitely agree...the gtr at the end raises hairs.

btw, it wasn't the death of my friend, but of someone in MMJ; i've been extremely fortunate in that in my time on earth so far, i've not lost anyone close to me before their time (ie, non-grandparents).

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
narlus said:
brungemen, i definitely agree...the gtr at the end raises hairs.
totally agree... the dynamics were as important to me when playing as anything... to have heavy you must have light:thumb: it gives perspective and depth...

narlus said:
btw, it wasn't the death of my friend, but of someone in MMJ; i've been extremely fortunate in that in my time on earth so far, i've not lost anyone close to me before their time (ie, non-grandparents).
well that is a good thing, and I am glad to hear that it wasn't you:thumb:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
must be the NeilYoung™ one and two note guitar solos. :thumb:

i listened to this on the drive in. what a powerful song.
99% of the time it is more effective than 45 seconds of a guitarist wanking off in the middle of a song.

"......cut out the guitar solos........"

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
if that falls into the 'genre' (a word i freakin hate) of 'jam bands'... then thanks :thumb:

this is the only time i have listened to a 'jam band' and not wanted to kill everyone in the room...

edit - i made it to the 3min 50 sec mark... quite good for someone like myself who likes his tunes served up a little more mit tabasco...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
stevew said:
99% of the time it is more effective than 45 seconds of a guitarist wanking off in the middle of a song.

"......cut out the guitar solos........"
I am with ya! I play at a lot of blues jams around town... we'll be playing some soulful heavy yet slow song and someone will give the nod to one of the guitarist for a solo... 12 bars later the guitarist is sweating and needs carpal tunnel surgery cause he just fit every note that can possibly be played on a guitar into the 12 bars... and he fit them in 3 times!!! I hate when people don't FEEL music!!! Music is an extension of emotion... don't get me wrong there is a place for lightning fast guitar work... it just should be matched to the song...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
brungeman said:
not following you!!! do you want me to insert one or were you supposed to and forgot?:rolleyes:

LOL! Naw.. I don't know any, but wanted to get in on the action.

Great tune selection by the way.