Quantcast

Song of the Day (08May06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Joe Pernice has become the next Mark Eitzel, a songwriter capable of grafting heartbreakingly beautiful melodies w/ startingly depressing lyrics. although not quite as bleak as Mark's work w/ American Music Club. Joe's been working the trade since the 90s w/ the western MA Scud Mountain Boys, surprisingly on Sub Pop of all labels as the low-key country styled strums were seemingly out of place w/ the seattle collective's roster. after SMB broke up, Joe's been doing things mainly own his own under a variety of names, most notably The Pernice Brothers, but this song (a New Order cover) is taken from his Chappaquiddick Skyline record.

Joe's also a pretty decent writer, and did a nicely turned out essay on The Smiths Meat is Murder in the continuing 33 and a third series of books.

Leave Me Alone

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Ha...I never knew that was a New Order song.

Hundred Dollar Pocket is my favorite song off that CD, and probably one of my favorite songs he has written.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stevew said:
Ha...I never knew that was a New Order song.
yeah, it's off _Power, Corruption and Lies_. <evil idea> this could be the start of a new theme. :D

spincrazy, not sure if YSI is down or not; i can't check it at work due to the filter.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Narlus, if you are interested, Joe Pernice will be on the May 9th episode of the Gilmore Girls....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
i heard sonic youth would be on the show too...what is it? i kept thinking 'golden girls' when i heard the title.
I have no idea.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Sonic youth was on, as was Grant Lee Phillips, according to the TV listing. I forgot about it until now.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
F maj: IV9 - I(65), etc. something sounds restless about this track despite it trying to be laid back. as if the band members were tired at the end of a recording session? maybe that's the point given the title... hmm. or maybe it's the semi-relentless slapping sound coming from the drum player. :think:

in any case, one to keep but not to cherish imo.