Quantcast

Song of the Day (10Apr06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
a rousing anthem for today, to get you going. Jawbox was never a favorite of mine; my sole exposure to them was a split single they did w/ Tar, each covering each other's song named "Static".

it had that wiry, post-punk sound mapped out pretty well, though, and i'm not sure why i didn't really pursue anything further. i guess there's only so many records one can listen to.

Static

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
They weren't bad live. Sound like I remember them sounding.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I loved Jawbox... they are great folks, and were awesome live... their first 7" with "Tools and Chrome" etc. was a great effort... their full length efforts were OK but their live shows were amazing... specially when Zach hooked up with them and drove the tempo, and played with a super intensity, that Adam Wade didn't have... Adam was better with Shudder to Think! IMHO...

they did a few split 7" that were cool... and as far as their covers go... I think the best cover they did was a cover of "Cornflake Girl" yep the one Tori Amos did... they did the song the way it should have originally been done!!! Super intense and rocked to the hilt!!!

good choice Narlus:thumb: whether you are expanding peoples exposure or helping relive old memories... Your Song of the Day threads are a winner... and I thank you for it!!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
thanks brungeman, i appreciate the feedback.

i think i have the 2nd jawbox single (w/ "ones and zeros" on it?), and i recall that being pretty good too. another great cover they did is "Airwaves Dream", a buzzcocks song.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
narlus said:
thanks brungeman, i appreciate the feedback.

i think i have the 2nd jawbox single (w/ "ones and zeros" on it?), and i recall that being pretty good too. another great cover they did is "Airwaves Dream", a buzzcocks song.
Yep I have had my eyes opened to a few new people from your posts...

was that the green and black covered 7" that was split with Jawbreaker? I cant remember... if that is the one but I have "Airwaves Dream" 7", I broke out a few albums this past week and weekend, and put Emma to bed to some good old stuff... you did a SOTD with Mission of Burma, and I broke out one of their albums and forgot how good the song "Forget" is...