Quantcast

Song of the Day (10Jul06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
back in the nascent days of the indie rock revolution (circa late 80s), there was a chance meeting of a couple, and a kiwi, at Harvard. thus, Galaxie 500 was formed, anchored by the rhythm section of Damon and Naomi, fronted by guitarist/singer Dean Wareham. they certainly had meticuously listened to the early velvet records, esp the 3rd, but also drew from a wealth of rock history knowledge, later covering songs from both Yoko Ono and The Rutles. this song remains one of my all time favorite instrumentals, a soaring piece noticeable for the exceptional stringbending of wareham; i think johnny greenwood may have taken notice; it also heavily evokes the guitar work of fellow NZ mangler David Mitchell (3Ds, Ghost Club). it gradually builds enough steam to blow the structure apart, and has a lot more light and heat than an average Galaxie 500 song.

Instrumental

side note - i happened to see Damon and Naomi @ the show friday night.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Dammit, narlus, you've been slacking with the SOTD, so I don't see it until I get to work where I can't listen to it :p

:mumble:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ooh, harvard connection. i dig. the mix seems to have lost some high frequency texture and sounds kinda "rumbly" in general, but maybe that's their sound. E min: I vii vi9 --- repeat. while it does soar, i could use more variety in the sound besides guitar warbling, especially since the chords are so static.