Quantcast

Song of the Day (10Mar06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Richmond VA isn't known for a whole lot, at least in my meagre brain, but they did provide to the world one of the great 'post-punk' (and god is that such a meaningless term) bands of my generation in Honor Role. not content w/ following the blueprint laid down by the close-to-home harDCore bands of Dischord etc, they relied on intricate guitar patterns of pen rollings and the earnest shout/sing style of bob schick.

once that band split (a few singles, an lp - all tidily collected on one cd i highly recommend), pen formed various bands of interest, while bob came up w/ Coral. and that's the band we've got today. this is from their 1st single, an early one on Mac's Merge label. a killer. (note - this selection was inspired by brungeman's posts of last week).

Filling A Hole

(ok, i couldn't find any pictures of Coral or Schick, so google images led me to this photo of a house owned by a Bob Schick).

you can find this on:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
binary visions said:
Meh. You got it posted too late. Hopefully it won't hit the 25 download limit before lunch :)

:stupid:

The Site You Are Trying To Access Is Prohibited
Category: "Messaging;Personal Network Storage"

:(

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
:stupid:

The Site You Are Trying To Access Is Prohibited
Category: "Messaging;Personal Network Storage"

:(
the 'net filter @ my work gives the same message. let me know if people can't d/l it and i will upload and post it again later.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Hey Narlus,
I just heard a song and thought of you.
You might see this as blasphemy, I don't know.
Have you heard "Be your Dog" by Styles of Beyond.
Styles of Beyond is that underground hip hop group
that was in the "Circus" video. Anyway, this song is
on their Megadef LP, and rocks the chorus from Iggy.:)

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Narlus,

I am very flattered that YOU thought anything I said was of any value:thumb:

I cant wait to download this one at home!!!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
BTW... are you familliar at all with Dolour? there is a great song by them called "butterknife suicide" that is pretty catchy:thumb:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
narlus said:
jeremy, haven't heard that one. is it decent? b-man, not familiar w/ Dolour.

did anyone dig the Coral tune? it's been quiet today.
Narlus, I am sorry I didn't comment on it sooner... but I love Coral, and we actually got to play with them in DC at 15 minutes or 9:30 club (I cant remember)... we were on tour and doing some dates with a few bands out of Louisville called Rodan, & Drinking Woman, we were at the end of our shows, and were in Princeton NJ, we decided to drive down to DC to see the Rodan show with Coral, and when we got there, Lois was sitting there with Guy Picciotto...

Lois sais... "what are you guys doing here" (with a big smile) and said "I didn't know you were playing tonight"... (or something along those lines)
and we were like "no we just came to check out the show... before heading home"
she looks at Guy and said these are the guys I played with at Swarthmore!
Guy sais "Oh Yeah?" do you wanna play tonight? we were blown away... he goes back and pulls a few strings next thing you know we were unloading and ready to play... It was a loaded bill, and we didn't get paid but it was an awesome show and a great night... I had been wanting to see Coral for some time, but schedules never meshed... then there we were not just seeing them but opening for them!!!

I will tell you this... the older I get the more fondly I look at the good ole days... I seam to forget some of the arguements etc... that all bands go through... and just remember the good stuff... but you know I like it better this way... by gones are by gones!!!:thumb:

as for Coral, and your selection... I love it... It really does bring back some good memories... spot on selection my friend!