Quantcast

Song of the Day (11Jul06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
The Chameleons were all that was right about post-punk, goth-tinged bands who came out of England in the early 80s...tremendous songwriting abilities, great use of texture via use of icy keyboards and loads of guitar pedals, a pounding drum sound and the very strong vocals and lyrics of singer mark chapman. for my money, they blew all the others out of the water, by a mile. Interpol was clearly listening to their stuff at some point.

why they didn't reach more people is a complete mystery, but you should be able to find their excellent Geffen record Strange Times in most any cutout bin, cd or vinyl. too bad; the songs 'swamp thing', 'caution', 'tears', and 'soul in isolation' are unbelievable powerful.

this selection is from their debut, which was not quite as developed as the other two records, but a hugely satisfying listen nonetheless. they may have set the record for most posthumous live releases, more than any band i can think of. too bad i did never see 'em, even after they briefly reformed about 6 years ago. i did see mark chapman play once though, which was cool. they still remain one of my favorite bands of all time.

A Person Isn't Safe Anywhere These Days

Palilla

Monkey
Jul 20, 2004
Good band :thumb:

They took over where Joy Division left off. I can't figure out why they (or the Comsat Angels) never got 'that' big, atleast in the US.

Interpol has definetely been influenced by them, as well as She Wants Revenge.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Hot. I feel like I just jumped in a time machine. I want the rest of their stuff for sure. I'll be the coolest kid on the block.