Quantcast

Song of the Day (12Apr06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Hood started out in a tiny rural town in England as a small, intimate affair, of the loose movement known tenuously as the 'bedroom tapers'...no, not the rob lowe or paris hilton variety; these were artists who wanted to get their music out, but w/ no interest from established channels, they turned to a primitive machine such as a 4 track Tascom and took matters into their own hands. other proponents of note from the early 90s include Smog, Daniel Johnston, Mountain Goats, Sentridoh and others. As they progressed, Hood gradually moved away from the lo-fi, scratchy guitar stuff and moved into a more electronic sound, incorporating samplers and other machines into their mix. really not an uncommon stance to be taken for the times, and some people left the band (the brothers Adams are still stalwarts) to form like-minded but more focused electronic projects (matt allison's Third Eye Foundation and the Craig Tattersall and Andrew Johnson project the remote viewer are the most prominent).

here's a selection from their 2nd to most recent lp, Cold House

You Show No Emotion At All

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
DRB said:
are my headphones going bad? Or is the static supposed to be there? Just in the background around 1:40.

I don't love it but I also don't hate it. So 3 stars.
i am pretty sure that's a feature, not a defect. they haven't fully abandoned their lo-fi roots.