Quantcast

Song of the Day (12SEP06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well there was a 3 day delay in the SotD duties...went to see rock shows sat (cambridge) and sun (NYC) and got back yesterday...busy. in a span of 13 days, i'll have seen 6 gigs (2 to go, tomorrow and friday).

anyway, the show i went to on sat night was the 1st ever tour of Aussie legends Radio Birdman. taking a heavy dose of Stooges and early Blue Oyster Cult, this band led by Dr Deniz Tek (no ****, a real MD) absolutely scorched the place, leaving no doubt that old men can rock the house. holy crap. and they've released a record (25 years on from their last, _Living Eyes_) which is actually a joy to listen to...the Stones et al should pay attention.

i took a ton of pictures (in between trying to shield my gear from flying bodies and beer) but i was on assignment for a mag, so i can only give you a quickie of rob. if i may say so, i've got two pictures of deniz which i think are the best gig photos i've ever taken.

We've Come So Far (To Be Here Today)

rob (not looking any) younger

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
this thread needs Partsy and VB.

even though rob was rocking the skullet, goddamn did these boys COOK! and it was the loudest show i've been to in sometime. even w/ earplugs firmly inserted, my ears were ringing all the next day, due to the stacks of marshalls.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
I was tempted to go see Radio Birdman. I got into them a while back and listened to their "hits" album really heavily. Man With Golden Helmet is such a kick ass song. And Into the Maelstrom and New Race... I gotta get that disc out again.

It's good to hear after so long they still put on a good show. More people definitely should be turned on to this great rock band.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
This is a good song - it's good to see them still doing it right after such a long hiatus. It's even got their signature piano style :D

The piano came on as I was typing this and I dig it!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Some of it reminds me of Queens of the Stone Age (primarily the drums). I liked the piano too, but the singer irritates me a bit. Good song overall, though.