Quantcast

Song of the Day (13Apr06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
mention folk to most people (esp not the ones predisposed to the trappings of the genre, like Alex Keaton's father from _Facts of Life_) and eye-glazing and eardrum-shutting will commence post-haste.

fortunately, a ton of new life is being breathed into the form, mostly by american artists who cast a critical eye backwards a few decades and take the best bits of the predescessors, esp paying close attention to the acid folk movement which sprang from the UK in the late 60s/early 70s.

Greg Weeks is not a newcomer to this vanguard, and arguably one of its earliest proponents...a former scribe for The Big Takeover, he focused energies on acoustic guitar, w/ mellotron, cello, and other gauzy accents which provide a warm, full sound. he's probably best known now as one part of philly project Espers but he's been making solo records for a few years now, building on that same sound; seeing him play @ Terrastock V in '02 was a genuine surprise and great adder.

this is from a spanish EP from '03:

Devils

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
FREAKIN GREAT!!! its almost loFi, but the vocals are super clean!!! some of the background guitar stuff reminds me of a Jeff Buckley tune...

wow... I really like this one!!! I have to check some more stuff out by him...

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Not at all what I expected. Especially the cover art!!! :eek:

I like it, definitely intriging enough to warrant further exploration.

Second listen comes off even better than the first (no pun intended).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jdschall said:
Just got to say this song has stood up to repeated listens. I really dig it.

Thanks.
sweet, glad to hear that. definitely check out the new Espers (greg's new band) record (creatively entitled _II_); not quite sure it's out yet but if not soon. they are playing here in about a month, and i will definitely be there.