Quantcast

Song of the Day (13Jul06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
The Reigning Sound kinda came out of nowhere to blow me away...i'd heard of leader Greg Cartwright's earlier stuff, like the Oblivians, and i liked his 'zine Wipeout, but this dylanesque combo he's formed is the best stuff he's done by far. i love the organ sound, the songwriting, the lyrics...it's the whole works, people. Laura and TN, you ever seen them? they are memphis locals.

Find Me Now

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Truth is we are all just greedy whores sucking up your SoTD's like a 0.10 popsicle in a heat wave and can't be bothered to comment.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
jdschall said:
Truth is we are all just greedy whores sucking up your SoTD's like a 0.10 popsicle in a heat wave and can't be bothered to comment.

er, i mean :stupid: :D

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
why i don't comment immediately is because i usually don't have my headphone setup plugged in, and playing anything musical on the built in speaker on this computer does it no justice whatsoever... if i get bored today and don't get called in i'll go through and bump a whole bunch of old sotd threads with comments :monkey:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just listened to it.

I liked it, in that if it were on a CD with other good songs I would listen with interest. I didn't like it enough that I'd seek it out on my playlist like I would with some of the other SOTDs.

But SOTD definitely rocks, even if I don't comment every time. I feel like my comments get stale: "I liked it." "I didn't like it that much." "This rocked! I want more" - I mean, how often can you hear those half dozen feelings worded differently?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
holy crap, complete indifference to one of the best songs i'd heard all last year.

could be time to hang up SotD.
that would suck.

better than dylan because you can understand him...:)

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
narlus said:
holy crap, complete indifference to one of the best songs i'd heard all last year.

could be time to hang up SotD.
Gnarlus Barkley - Don't get worked up. I have a SOTD playlist on my Ipod - it kicks ass, and this song (like every SOTD) ended up in there - but it's not the best on the list by far.

Meanwhile - I thought of you - I just found out I missed Yo La Tengo in Prospect Park, doing a free show, providing a live soundtrack to the film Sounds of Science! Damn, can't believe I missed it!:mumble:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dammit, i've not seen YLT in a long time, probably 6 years at least. not sure why, i guess they haven't been where i have.

the new record's great, you hear a leak of it yet?

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
narlus said:
dammit, i've not seen YLT in a long time, probably 6 years at least. not sure why, i guess they haven't been where i have.

the new record's great, you hear a leak of it yet?
Nope, I have not heard it, but of course, if you want to send me one.... you have my address...
;)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
hmm, not so hot on this track. reminds me of well-done country-meets-folk-meets-the-muppets...

D maj: I --- IV -- V64 -- V -- I -- IV -- V ------- I, etc. with walking bass, not too much there. kinda cool B C natural C sharp riff going on, i guess

overall i would not rock this song in my car with the windows down for fear that passers-by might sneer. :D