Quantcast

Song of the Day (14Jul06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
of all the music which came out of the great incubator that is nawlins, The Meters is the pinnacle. propelled by drummer Zigaboo Modeliste (not sure what's better...his name or prodigious talent...i could listen to this guy play an empty joint compound bucket all day) and singer/keyboardist Art Neville, they quickly became the class of the crescent city. a gumbo of soul, funk, r&b and hints of cajun spice, the meters formed a template for many bands to admire, pilfer, and become inspired by.

from their excellent 2nd lp Look-Ka Py Py (all their records have been reissued and are in print, so get goin')

Funky Miracle

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sweet, an early SOTD, I can catch it before work :thumb:

narlus, this rocked. I have the vague feeling I've heard it before somewhere, but it's great.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I think that you hit the nail on the head... so many have stolen from the meters, and it is good to show where it all started.

I also like Sissy Strut... that grove always gets me going! and I cant forget "Liver splash"

Great SOTD!

you rock (and groove mang)!

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
narlus said:
i could do that...next week will be abbreviated though...off to NH on vacation from wed -> tues.
color me jealous. where bouts? My experience with NH is limited, but it was nice, even though there was several feet of snow on the ground at the time. "Live free or die!"

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
up to the mt washington valley. we do an annual trip w/ my inlaws each year, but the wife's sister and family are still in rome so it'll be a smaller gathering. we'll do some biking at attitash, she'll play some tennis, play w/ the kids (though otis can't swim due to the cast), do some hiking, and maybe hit up one of the places like clark's trading post or the one near conway (what the hell is the name of it...the kid-oriented amusement park?).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
spincrazy said:
color me jealous. where bouts? My experience with NH is limited, but it was nice, even though there was several feet of snow on the ground at the time. "Live free or die!"
NH is nice when it's warm and sunny. The problem is that the warm and sunny days aren't all that frequent.

And the several feet of snow gets old real fast :dead: