Quantcast

Song of the Day (15Apr06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
this is a record i've been listening to for a decent amount of time this past week and it's time to share the wealth. John Zorn has been alternately astouding and confounding listeners since he burst on the music scene w/ his infamous 'game pieces' way back in the 70s, in which performers are allowed to improvise while following certain structural rule. he's most associated w/ the world of jazz, but has many forays into grindcore, noise, and modern compositional pieces. he is just at home on stage w/ eye yamasutka of the boredoms or mike patton as he is with people like bill frisell or wayne horvitz.

the most interesting project of his, in my opinion (of the stuff i've heard anyway; he's got a fearsome discography and there are a lot things i've not listened to) is his Ornette Coleman-based Masada project, which can take a variety of guises. the 1st was the classic quartet, and seeing them play live 7 years ago was truly an ecstatic experience. he's also pieced together string ensembles (the 'bar kokhba' stuff) and now an electric version of Masada. the overall theme of Masada is to take classical jewish melodies and then proceed to zornify them.

the lineup for this particular recording is:

Marc Ribot (guitar); John Zorn (alto saxophone); Jamie Saft (keyboards); Trevor Dunn (bass instrument); Kenny Wollesen, Joey Baron (drums); Cyro Baptista (percussion); Ikue Mori (electronics).

ribot's a longtime zorn cohort and easily one of my top 3 guitarists; he's in line for SotD honors at some point. joey baron is the most talented drummer i've ever had the privilege of seeing live. zorn can recruit a strong team, no doubt about it. and he's not so shabby a player either.

have a listen:

Karaim

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
interesting you mention masada. ultimately i found it too aurally grating to listen to, and actually removed the tracks from my itunes library so that they wouldn't come up in random play... this opinion came from two? "live at" albums, one of which was a two disc affair.

instruments are NOT made for squeaking :dead:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Miles Davis Quartet vs. Electric Masada......in a Battle Royale....who would win?

Good chit.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Not like some of the improvisational stuff I've subjected myself to (i.e. early 80's James Blood Ulmer, Fred Frith). This is extremely listenable. Good call on the drum work. Whoa. Thumbs up here. :cool: