Quantcast

Song of the Day (15Aug06) [sub pop #3]

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Tacoma represent. Seaweed didn't have the most creative name or sound, but they were good enough for a bit to separate themselves from the din, and get nationwide recognition. they also took advantage of feeding @ the post-Nevermind major label trough, but it just wasn't there; the '95 record _Spanaway_ just wasn't anything the record buying public was interested in anymore, and i'm sure cutout copies littered yr local 2nd hand shop for months. i was surprised to see that Merge issued a record in '99; gotta give' em some points for dogged determination, even if they failed to realize it's a zero sum game at this point.

it sounds like i hate the band, but that's not true. their earliest stuff had some flair and spark, esp the great single "Just a Smirk" (initially released on Leopard Gecko, but later reissued w/ another single on Sub Pop, so i am playing within my self-constrained box).

Just A Smirk

New Tools

Card Tricks

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Ooh... look at you throwing an .m4a file in the mix... sneaky! I remember this band from way back, never owned any of their stuff but remember liking them quite well. I'm stoked to check it out! Also - lovin' the "themed" SOTD stuff (Matador last week, SP this week)... good stuff!

PS - nice kitten.