Quantcast

Song of the Day (15Jun06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i hope Debbie Curtis' estate gets some royalties from the sudden wave of 80s nostalgia record buyers who suddenly made Interpol, Bloc Party, etc the flavor of the month. the rest of the Joy Division crew made plenty of dosh w/ New Order, (despite the Hacienda fiasco) but the dour vocals, crystalline production, and machinistic gloom which pervaded their sound (not to mention the eplileptic dancing style of Ian) didn't move a whole lot of units while they were still a going concern (though more accessible 12" singles like "Atmosphere" and of course "Love Will Tear Us Apart" did pretty well).

i'm sure everyone knows about the sad tale of Ian and how he hung himself just days before Joy Division were to launch their debut american tour, but if you are not there is at least one biopic in the works. maybe brandon lee will get cast.

anyway, this song caught my attention on the 8 hr return flight, so i am presenting it as today's selection. great grinding guitar sound matches the neo-fascist mood; they should have released this as a single w/ "They Walked In Line" as the b side.

Leader of Men

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Glad you are back.......joy division seems to be an aquired taste...although this song sounds better than i remember them sounding.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
stevew said:
Glad you are back.......joy division seems to be an aquired taste...although this song sounds better than i remember them sounding.
If you haven't already, try and find the movie "24 Hour party People". Covers Joy Division among others. Good flick.:thumb:

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Nice to have the SOTD back!

Okay, you got me digging through vinyl with this one. And I finally found it on the last rack (no, they're not alphabetized any more). It's a 12" 45 Joy Division single "She's Lost Control" b/w "Atmosphere" on Factory in mint condition.

Going to have to invest in a new turntable as I ran across some other classics I had forgotten about such as New Order "Movement", Big Daddy Cool's "Wodka Flight 269", several English Beat 12" 45's, some very obscure reggae, including a Star Wars Dub on blue vinyl and the list goes on.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Hey, I actually liked that. Joy Division was a little before my time and never really gave it a good listen. I never really got into the whole goth / new wave thing. New Order was OK but a little boring / depressing for my tastes. Good sleepy time late night music but I never liked it enough to follow up other their family tree.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Trainwreck said:
Going to have to invest in a new turntable as I ran across some other classics I had forgotten about such as New Order "Movement", Big Daddy Cool's "Wodka Flight 269", several English Beat 12" 45's, some very obscure reggae, including a Star Wars Dub on blue vinyl and the list goes on.
i am currently in the process of trying to assemble an mp3 collection of each and every Sub Pop single of the month...should be fun. i have to organize my vinyl collection, it's a mess...