Quantcast

Song of the Day (16Jun06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the Buzzcocks are my generation's Beatles, no question about it. at least before, say Sgt Peppers; Shelley and Diggle wouldn't push the stylistic and songwriting/production boundary so far or as expertly as Lennon/McCartney, and Diggle was certainly the lesser star in the two writer constellation, as opposed to the arguably equal contributions of chapman fodder Lennon and sir paul. but i think you could make a strong argument that Singles Going Steady was the red or blue album of its time, a collection of such strongly written songs it was hard to believe that few ever found their way onto a proper lp. the kids of today don't have an idea what a true singles band really was (the last great one may have been The Smiths)

however, even if you cherish that particular compliation to bits, if you stop getting any other buzzcocks records it'd be a shame, esp their 1st 2 (and the very early punk EP Spiral Scratch,while howard devoto was in the band). from their debut lp:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
forgot to say that they played boston while i was away last week. damn!

i did get to see them on an early reunion tour (1990?) when smiths drummer mike joyce played w/ 'em.