Quantcast

Song of the Day (16May06) + Pictures I Took

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the bats were pretty seminal pop band from new zealand, and at the center is Robert Scott, a pretty essential mover in that small circle of interest. he's probably best known for being in The Clean (1st band of note on the Flying Nun label, the most well-known label from NZ), taking over from original member Peter Gutteridge fairy early on. but before that, he was in a variety of side projects (some including future Dead C members Michael Morley and Bruce Russell), and started his own cassette label Every Secret Thing.

but back to The Bats... very upbeat pop, propelled by kaye woodward's two finger guitar style and paul kean's very florid bass playing. that said, the meat of the music is robert's songwriting ability...he's got some great ones in his body of work. barbara manning's covered two of his compositions: "Smoking Her Wings" and "Before We Go Under".

today's selection was my first introduction to the band, via the excellent Flying Nun compilation _In Love With These Times_; it also later appeared on the _Daddy's Highway_ lp, and features fellow recording artist Alastair Galbraith on violin.

North By North

here are some pictures from the show Tuesday night; hope you like them.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I thought this track was awesome. Nice driving guitar/drum line. I loved it. Is all of their stuff along these lines?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Pretty cool... I dig the "musical" part of it... vocals are OK, but the "music" was great.

Yea, duh... so I don't know the right terms... deal with it.:rolleyes:

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
:rofl: That was fun. So ... um ... 80's. Kinda reminded me of The Alarm .. or Tears for Fears .. or .. damn I wish I could remember the 80's. :rofl: Like the pics. Made me feel old.

Keep 'em coming!! :love:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
the telecaster is an awesome invention... gimme 50s tech anyday for guitars... oh, and amps :)...

i haven t listened to the clip yet, but i ve heard the bats... good stuff... i ll listen to it when this CD (tumbleweed) finishes...

good stuff narlus :thumb: