Quantcast

Song of the Day (17Mar06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
today's selection definitely needed an Irish (or Oirish, as they say) band, and the obvious choice for a day best known for drinking yr face off would be The Pogues. but truth be told, i don't like traditional irish music, or the Pogues, so i went to plan B.

that would have been Van Morrison but it was gonna be too mellow for what i had in mind...then, an obvious choice came into my head...of course! John Peel's all-time favorite song! no-brainer!

so, out of Derry they came, 4 (er, make that 5) lads w/ a bright sound and big ideas. this could be the most uplifting, upbeat punk song ever.

Teenage Kicks

however, in the spirit of fairness, the republic needs representation too (Derry's part of the UK, in 'the North'). none of that pap like The Waterboys, Cranberries, or <gasp> U2....nope, this needed the heavy guns.

the town where Phil Lynott formed Thin Lizzy, Crumlin, is a tough one, even in today's total economic rebirth of ireland in general and dublin in particular. three decades ago, i'm sure it was much worse, and that doesn't sound like an ideal environment for a half-Barbadian/half-Irish kid to grow up, but Phil made it out alive (at least until the drugs overtook him). this song is from their massively successful (both commercially and artistically) _Jailbreak_, but i chose the live version for the relevant prologue. and fittingly, it strays a bit from Phil's usual menu of drinking, fighting, and chasing birds, and is about his native land.

Emerald

RIP, phil, and slaint&#233;.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
4 lads but there are 5 in the picture? The use of the punk label really draws attention to the sheer variety of music that gets tossed into the punk bucket. Cool nonetheless.

The Thin Lizzy song reminds me of Spinal Tap. Its cool but I'll I can see is an 11" Stonehenge being lowered to the ground.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, i always F up counting...Feargal Sharkey split (the O'Neill brothers and the other two formed That Petrol Emotion w/ american Steve Mack singing) and Feargal didn't take part in the recent reunion shows the undertones did either (not sure who sang).

'punk' is a widely abused term for sure.

edit - oh yeah, Thin Lizzy is all about the cock rock, no doubt about it.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Thin Lizzy just came on the radio. :rofl:

Roll me over and turn me around
Let me keep spinning till I hit the ground
Roll me over and let me go
Riding in the rodeo

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
"cowboy song" rips.

the other contenders considered were "whiskey in the jar" (mercilessly bludgeoned to death by metallica) or "roisin dubh (a rock legend)", but that was a bit too long.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
narlus said:
no surprise there, mr avatar. :D

i know ciaran won't be happy either.

so here's a spider stacy for you: :nopity:
aren't we just the feisty rock critic :rolleyes:

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
narlus said:
is there any other kind?
So, do you have a "bad haircut," "bags under eyes," "empty wallet," and "vague sense that career choice is ridiculous"?

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
You weren't actually supposed to answer those questions.

They were from an old Life in Hell strip about "How to Be a Feisty Rock Critic". :thumb:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
"Oh Dear what can the matter be
seven old ladies are stuck in the lavatry
they were there from sundee till Saturdee
and nobody knew they were there!!!"

a great old drinking song that we always sing along to during St. Patts dee!!!

I don't mind the Pogues like some of their stuff... I am a big fan of VanMorisson's early stuff... there is a singer songwriter that is getting some serious attention lately that reminds me a lot of VanM... his name is Ray Lamontagne

BTW... Narlus... here is a link to Dolour that band I mentioned earlier this week!!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
DNA said:
You weren't actually supposed to answer those questions.
i figured that, but it was fun to play along.

DNA said:
They were from an old Life in Hell strip about "How to Be a Feisty Rock Critic". :thumb:
matt's still connected to music, and not only w/ regard to musical guests on the simpsons...he recently curated one of the All Tomorrow's Parties fests, and i've got an lp he did the artwork for:

Country Music in the World of Islam Volume XV

By Eugene Chadbourne
with The Sun City Girls, Elliott Sharp, Ben Face and Yamo Kneeme
UPESTCO productions
1990, LC7800, Fundamental Recordings, Brussels, Belgium
NR 760, SAVE 80 CD (CD)
UPC 016266 308021
Made in Austria
NR 370, SAVE 80 MC (Cassette)
UPC 016266 308045
Made in Holland
Cover art by Matt Groening.