Quantcast

Song of the Day (17May06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the sun a brief appearance late yesterday, and greeted us this morning, so this song seemed very appropriate. there at least 74 Nick Cave songs which demand immediate listening and attention; he's a titan of the music scene and has been responsible for some of the ugliest, most beautiful, amoral, and inspiring songs of the last 20+ years. everyone should have some Bad Seeds growing in their record collection, even if you take the Greatest Hits route.

coming from the strangled noise and venom of Boys Next Door and then more (in)famously, The Birthday Party, the band laid down swampy, venomous, writhing tracks which crackled w/ danger and excitement. you can certainly tell that David Yow (Scratch Acid, the Jesus Lizard) was paying attention. when he struck out on his own, w/ the ubiquitous Bad Seeds as the backing band, he gradually made the transformation from wild-eyed screamer to actual singer, and it's quite the transition.

there are a lot of great places to start if you are a neophyte, but i would recommend either Let Love In, Murder Ballads, Henry's Dream or The Boatman's Call. oh, and if you get the chance to see him play live, raining hellfire never felt so good.

Ain't Gonna Rain Anymore

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Always a lover of Mr Cave. Don't know if I know this one.

Great selection and nice write-up as always. Do you write for anyone now?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
spincrazy said:
Always a lover of Mr Cave. Don't know if I know this one.

Great selection and nice write-up as always. Do you write for anyone now?
thanks man.

nah, i've not done any writing for a publication since Popwatch folded the tent about 6+ years ago (maybe more?). jack rabid's extended his offer if i wanted to chip in for The Big Takeover again, but i'd rather just do it on an ad hoc basis, when i want and what i want. if there weren't so many blogs out there that blow me away both graphically and w/ the written word, i'd consider that route but it's too much time really.

so instead, i get to indulge myself via SotD. :D

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Ain't Gonna Rain Anymore

My wife & I were driving down to DC late one night - it was raining hard and 95 was nearly empty. My wife was sleeping, and I was listening to Murder Ballads. My wife woke up mid-album with a half scream, all disoriented, and then yelled "Can you turn this creepy s**t off!'.

Totally sums up his music for me. I love it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Mackie said:
My wife & I were driving down to DC late one night - it was raining hard and 95 was nearly empty. My wife was sleeping, and I was listening to Murder Ballads. My wife woke up mid-album with a half scream, all disoriented, and then yelled "Can you turn this creepy s**t off!'.

Totally sums up his music for me. I love it.
nice one!

the vacation place we rented in stockholm was a family's city residence, and they had a teenaged daughter (guessing she was in her early teens; didn't meet her but that's the estimate i made from photos and what she had in her room). she didn't have many cds, and the ones she did have were primarily teenybopper pop. but a copy of _murder ballads_ was among them, i'm guessing for the kylie minogue duet nick did w 'where the wild roses grow'...i wonder if she listened to the rest of the record. :D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
"New Morning" off of Live Seeds would have been fitting too.

I'm slightly disappointed that he didn't tour, that I know of, with Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of the Orpheus.

I want to hear "Hiding All Away" live.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
interesting to hear a bass singer instead of pop singers and punk rockers screaming up in the staff. not the most exciting song in my opinion. g min: I... IV ... I, meh.