Quantcast

Song of the Day (17May06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Spacemen 3 are one of the well-known drug bands of our era; this distinction cost them their US tour visas, and they didn't get a chance to land on our fair shores and rip a hole in yr skull. thick, fuzzed riffs that stretch longer than the horizon, insistent until you think they've had enough, and they decided you haven't. probably more known now for jason pierce's involvement in Spiritualized.

this is kinda cheating, but i will give you byron coley's intro on the band, the prelude to the interview he did in Forced Exposure

Sweetly, simply put, Spacemen 3 are the only English band that I’d walk across the street to piss on. Meaning mostly that I wouldn’t even bother to piss on any other English band that comes quickly to mind. Spacemen 3 take the grunge lessons taught by formal masters, force them through a drug-stained wringer and vomit the accrued fluids over acres of buzzing, humming riff. From the twee, sustained chirp of their “ecstacy sound” to the stark naked, Eskimo-inspired string-beat of their most primally fish-trouncing duntage, Spacemen 3 are world class mindbenders and each of their records deserves a “greasy” “spot” on yr “shelf”. Drop a pane on yr eyeball, get in the tub, and crank up The Perfect Prescription. If you don’t end up singing the band’s praises, yr a goddamn fatso. So start warblin’.
full interview here

Revolution

one of the cooler band logos i can think of:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Not a bad track except for the fact that the lead guitarist clearly has a muscular disorder and they accidentally recorded a minute and a half of his uncontrollable muscle spasms at the beginning and end.

I mean, it was an accident, right?

At least the bassist had the sense to join in after a minute in the beginning and make it sound like they meant to do that :p

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
binary visions said:
Not a bad track except for the fact that the lead guitarist clearly has a muscular disorder and they accidentally recorded a minute and a half of his uncontrollable muscle spasms at the beginning and end.

I mean, it was an accident, right?

At least the bassist had the sense to join in after a minute in the beginning and make it sound like they meant to do that :p
must've been the heroin withdrawal...

oh, and sorry about screwing up the date; should read 18May06; i typed it up last night and had it ready to go.

mudhoney did a cover of this particular song, complete w/ suppository reference. sonic boom and j. pierce were not amused.