Quantcast

Song of the Day (18Apr06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
John Fahey was a hugely influential force in the realm of acoustic guitar...part archivist (he was famous for plundering yard sales and dusty record shelves, looking for post-war 78s and the like), part entrepreneur (formed the Takoma label back when a musician having their own label was unheard of), and part irascible genius (he wasn't known for having the longest patience, but his playing was amazing).

after a well-received career in the 60s and mid 70s, he dropped out of sight and was not heard from again until Byron Coley brought him to my (and am guessing a lot more of my generation) attention via a great interview in Spin, back in the early 90s.

this rejuvinated Fahey to get back into the creative game, where he turned his back on the acoustic leaning of his previous life, and in a very typical, contrarian way, launched headlong into musique concrete and wall of noise. not exactly what the 60's Fahey-record owner would be familiar or happy with. he also formed the excellent Revenant/B] label w/ Dean Blackwell, who in keeping w/ Fahey's eye on the past interests, released some essential archival and never heard recordings from the likes of Doc Boggs, Charley Patton and Albert Ayler (the label actually won a grammy for the Patton set, for best packaging).

anyway, i didn't want to scare anyone off by the more abstract offerings so elected to pick this lovely little ditty, from the _transfiguration of blind joe death_ record. fahey passed away a few years ago, from complications related to diabetes, but he remains an important, enigmatic, and ultimately inspiring and uniquely american story.

On The Sunny Side of the Ocean