Quantcast

Song of the Day (18Aug06) [sub pop #6]

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Sebadoh was a turning point for the label, in my mind...grunge was fading, the big names had jumped or were jumping ship for the coke and whore-fuelled signing parties of the majors, and Sub Pop needed an answer. enter Lou Barlow...as his previous claim to bass player for sludgerock world-beaters Dinosaur Jr, he was unceremoniously sh!t-canned by taciturn, lugubrious lead j mascis. since he'd already been exploring his own peculiar sound world (cf "Poledo" in You're Living All Over Me, he scooped up his hurt feelings and well of bitterness and started writing songs about how much J sucked. some could argue that Lou started emo in this very manner.

regardless, the music he created was stunning, starting w/ the lo-fi experiemental solo stuff he released as Sentridoh, or after he'd teamed w/ Eric Gaffney to release the sprawling testament Sebadoh III (recently reissued w/ bonus disc, after being out of print for way too long). gaffney moved on and lou found a good foil in louisville's Jason Lowenstein; former boston record clerk and all-around good guy Bob Fay sat in on drums, and the hits just came coming. the records Bubble and Scrape, Bakesale and Harmacy are fantastic documents of 90s rock.

Gimme Indie Rock

Sacred Attention

Careful

Beauty of the Ride

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Mmmm. MMmmm. Good stuff. I always was a Dino Jr. fan. A good friend of mine introduced them to me in high school. He used to go crawling through the record bins at the local indy record shop hunting to for Lou Barlow records. He went on to become the lead singer and creative force for the band Superdrag, a band that met with moderate success with their single "Who sucked out the feeling". You can definitely hear the influence, lyrically and musically.