Quantcast

Song of the Day (18Jul06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
today's cut is from one of the all-time great debuts, a debut so fantastic the world wasn't ready for it, and it came out about 4 years later, after the disillusioned band had long since packed it in. The Modern Lovers are probably known, if at all by this generation, for jonathan richman, and only then because he was in and sang in Something About Mary. tangential trickledown fame also came from drummer David Robinson (went to play w/ the Cars) and Jerry Harrison (hooked up w/ Talking Heads). or maybe you've heard the Sex Pistols demolish "Roadrunner", or heard the cover of "Pablo Picasso" while watcing Repo Man.

anyway, this record obviously owes quite a debt to the Velvets (and John Cale did production duties, later cribbing "Pablo Picasso" for his own record) but also inspired countless bands in its wake. richman's famously adenoidnal vocals come through like a beacon through the fog, and his intense, 1st person-account lyrics are matchless.

if you've ever received an email from my gmail account, this song was the inspiration for the username.

I'm Straight

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
modern lovers are good... i m not trying to hump your post - i m agreeing :agree: :)

i can t believe some people didn t like polvo track sotd from before... i have 'exploded drawing'... filth cd..

keep it up mate... it s almost as good as n8s random cut and paste BS... :thumb:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
partsbara said:
modern lovers are good... i m not trying to hump your post - i m agreeing :agree: :)

i can t believe some people didn t like polvo track sotd from before... i have 'exploded drawing'... filth cd..

keep it up mate... it s almost as good as n8s random cut and paste BS... :thumb:
:trophy_br

amusing singer and lyrics, enough so that i'll hang on to this track :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Toshi said:
:trophy_br

amusing singer and lyrics, enough so that i'll hang on to this track :D
toshi, if you end up getting the debut, there may be enough boston references (route 128, government center, etc) in the lyrics to keep you amused.