Quantcast

Song of the Day (19Apr06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
on w/ the acoustic guitar theme, though today's song is augmented w/ drums, mandolin, and other instrumentation. from the much acclaimed, all-acoustic March 16-20 1992, Uncle Tupelo showed respect clearly to the roots music they love and were influenced by. no loud, crazy horse-esque guitars on this one; much more introspective, telling tales of appalachia and the dustbowl. this is personally one of my favorite songs, and always reminds of me a weekend years back when my wife and drove from one friend's wedding @ the Cape down to another's in Philly, and changed out of our wedding clothes in the grass parking lot from the 1st and drove out while this was playing. i've always thought this would also make a good soundtrack to a bike vid; maybe someone can put it to good use.

the dissolution of UT found Jay Farrar forming Son Volt while Wilco has become Jeff Tweedy's high profile project. if you are a fan of either yet somehow managed to keep yr collection free of UT, the 4 records they did are absolutely essential.

Sandusky

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
edit: Hah, they were on the dh girlie mixes, that's where I had heard it before, not sure why I tagged it as being off one of my commercial CDs.

Anyway, great track!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
sorry for the repeats. :(
Yes, you should certainly cater to those handful of us who received your mixes a year ago, instead of promoting good music to the general population ;)

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
binary visions said:
Yes, you should certainly cater to those handful of us who received your mixes a year ago, instead of promoting good music to the general population ;)
Yeah, you bastard.

;)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Trainwreck said:
Gee, how do you get on the "preferred" list?
narlus made a 3 CD mix a while back for dh girlie and posted that he was going to make a small handful of duplicate copies, so whoever PMed him asking could get a copy. I don't know how many were sent out, but I got a copy and they were pretty damn good mixes.

They're still in my car, actually :)

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
binary visions said:
narlus made a 3 CD mix a while back for dh girlie and posted that he was going to make a small handful of duplicate copies, so whoever PMed him asking could get a copy. I don't know how many were sent out, but I got a copy and they were pretty damn good mixes.

They're still in my car, actually :)
That would be fun to put together a collection like that. Hmm...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i really dig this song. clean recording, nothing cut off (including the pseudo-sibilance of fingers and picks rebounding off of strings). D maj: Isharp7(+9) ------ II(+9) --- flatVII(+9)---- repeat. good chords, use of multiple voices, layers, pacing, direction. tasty. :thumb: