Quantcast

Song of the Day (19May06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Power pop can be a fairly bland genre, reeking of overblown lyrics and painfully turgid, upbeat chord choices. but when you are the pioneers of said genre, you have a lot more leeway in doing things before they fall into tired clichés, and Big Star had that advantage. when Alex Chilton left the Box Tops (most famous for his great vocals on "The Letter" ; 'get me a ticket for an aeroplane, ain't got time to take a fast train') and met up w/ Chris Bell, landed on noted local (Memphis) R&B/soul label Stax, and two essential records were made. Bell ended up leaving the band due to personal issues, and later died in a tragic car crash. Big Star soldiered on, releasing the very dark 3rd record Sister Lovers, and dissolutioned w/ the lack of success, Chilton left for a solo career.

many bands have used Big Star as an influence if not outright template, including Cheap Trick, The Raspberries, Teenage Fanclub, and others, and a couple of guys from The Posies convinced Alex and drummer Jody Stephens to reform, play some shows, and actually record a new record under the Big Star name. i've not heard it though, and tend to be a bit wary of these rescussitation efforts.

My Life Is Right

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
:drool: AHHHhhh BIG STAR!!!!!!!! :drool:

the Jayhawks (one of my favorites:love: ) references Big Star, in their music pretty often, and also credits them with a heavy influence on their musical style!

LOVE IT! Narlus!:thumb:

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Thank you

for letting me know what power pop is. I now know what to avoid at all costs. I think that made me nauseous...no, it definitely did.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
narlus said:
Power pop can be a fairly bland genre, reeking of overblown lyrics and painfully turgid, upbeat chord choices. but when you are the pioneers of said genre, you have a lot more leeway in doing things before they fall into tired clichés, and Big Star had that advantage. when Alex Chilton left the Box Tops (most famous for his great vocals on "The Letter" ; 'get me a ticket for an aeroplane, ain't got time to take a fast train') and met up w/ Chris Bell, landed on noted local (Memphis) R&B/soul label Stax, and two essential records were made. Bell ended up leaving the band due to personal issues, and later died in a tragic car crash. Big Star soldiered on, releasing the very dark 3rd record Sister Lovers, and dissolutioned w/ the lack of success, Chilton left for a solo career.

many bands have used Big Star as an influence if not outright template, including Cheap Trick, The Raspberries, Teenage Fanclub, and others, and a couple of guys from The Posies convinced Alex and drummer Jody Stephens to reform, play some shows, and actually record a new record under the Big Star name. i've not heard it though, and tend to be a bit wary of these rescussitation efforts.

My Life Is Right

Sounds a lot like Sloan. Fun.