Quantcast

Song of the Day (21Aug06) [Touch and Go #2]

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Big Black is the abrasive, controversial and first musical effort that Steve Albini did, and likely still his best liked (though Rapeman and Shellac are also very worthy bands). it started originally as a one man project while he was a student @ northwestern, but he gradually recruited some chicago-area musicians (santiago durango, jeff pezzati, both of Naked Raygun) which really jelled by the _Racer-X_ ep (they've always had Roland as their drummer, a tongue-in-cheek reference to the brand of the drum machine). albini is outspoken and definitely not politically correct; he's also very intelligent, and a hugely successful recording engineer as well. an interesting guy all around; The Problem With Music is a great article steve wrote for The Baffler, and goes into his philosophy on major labels and why they are to be avoided at all costs, at least from a musician's perspective.

anyway, onto the music. albini is very forthright about admitting that Gang of Four guitarist Andy Gill is a big influence. cha-ching. great sound.

Cables (live)

Sleep!

Colombian Necktie

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Nice choice. I guess it was fate that I heard Bad Penny this morning on the college radio station.

On a tangentially related note, I picked up the the best of Helmet last week on a whim. I had their first two albums and liked them but hadn't heard the last two. I didn't realized the influence that Big Black had on Page Hamilton until I listened to this album after recently listening to Songs about F#*king. I think Albini recorded/produced In the Meantime.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
how'd i miss this one.
finally a reason to check out the lounge again.

thanks