Quantcast

Song of the Day (21Mar06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
they started out as some 'art-rock' band, which i guess means that one or more band members went to art school and/or read a lot. as musical terms go, it's on the more meaningless end of the scale, and that' an accomplishment.

anyway, a band who actually employs a dancer while playing live, and credits on their records has to be doing somethig outside the norm. Bristol England's Blue Aeroplanes are that band. they have a pretty wide-ranging career built on pretty traditional songwriting styles, picking out folk and other influences as they went. when michael stipe started name-checking them (confession - this is how i got clued in back in the 80s) their profile grew, they landed a major label deal, and got a heavier sound.

i've heard they are on the comeback trail, which would be nice...both times i've seen 'em live (supporting The Church and The Jazz Butcher) were great shows.

here's the single off _Swagger_, probably their best, most accomplished record (which just saw the expanded/reissued treatment).

Jacket Hangs

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
They continue to be a hard band for me to like.

I remember having this CD and listening to it a couple of times.

I think I may have seen them once.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stevew said:
They continue to be a hard band for me to like.
there are two kinds of people in this world:

people who can't stand singer Gerard Langley, and those who can tolerate him. i can't imagine many people's "best singers of all-time" lists include his name. same goes for Guy Kyser (Thin White Rope), and a slew of others.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
It's more like a boring lecture than singing.

Dancer in a band...........Happy Mondays had that goof ball dancer to.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stevew said:
It's more like a boring lecture than singing.

Dancer in a band...........Happy Mondays had that goof ball dancer to.
technically....he's a maracas player.

:D

most 'interesting' dancer has be kathleen lynch for the butthole surfers...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
most 'interesting' dancer has be kathleen lynch for the butthole surfers...
The one time I saw them there was no dancer. Just laser lights and a screen that was showing old b/w footage of biker movies with naked girls jumping on a trampoline over top of that.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stevew said:
The one time I saw them there was no dancer. Just laser lights and a screen that was showing old b/w footage of biker movies with naked girls jumping on a trampoline over top of that.
yeah, i missed the naked gyrations of ms lynch as well; she was long-gone by the time i caught the surfers (1st in '89, then '90).

c'mon people, no comments on this song?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
the link in your post came up with a yousendit page with no link to download the file for me...?