Quantcast

Song of the Day (21May06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
rock trios are somewhat of an established sub-genre, deviating from the standard lead gtr/rhythm gtr/bass/drums, w/ one or more guy singing format...i suppose we've got the Beatles to blame for that.

Silkworm didn't start out this way, but after Joel Phelps left for a solo career, they re-assessed and Tim Midgett took over behind the mic stand. despite losing the fullness and tonality advantages which two guitars lend, they responded by not relying on overdubs and cranked out their finest record of their career, Firewater, masterfully recorded by Steve Albini. angular guitar, rock-solid bass, precise drumming, insightful lyrics; about the only potential negative you could tag on the Seattle outfit is the vocals, and that's a personal preference thing; i don't mind Tim's warbling at all (in fact, you could argue it's a clear step up from Phelps' efforts).

sadly, the band disbanded recently after a horrific tragedy where drummer michael dalquist and two friends died, after a suicidal woman rammed her car full speed into their stopped car, at a red light. ironically, the woman was fine.

Quicksand

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
kinda flat feeling to this one, too. needs a better studio/recording engineer, or maybe it's just the 3 voices as you write about. D maj, kinda cloudy chord structure (does it really deviate from I for more than 2 beats at all? :think: ). not one i'm going to keep around, even tho it'd racked up a decent 6 plays since being added to the library.