Quantcast

Song of the Day (22May06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Wolfmother is currently riding the swell of press and word of mouth in the sweepstakes of dredging up metal and hard rock riffs from three decades ago, and foisting them mainly on listeners who weren't even born soon enough to see pair of parachute pants in real life (note to RM readers: if this describes you, and you want to see some, give BrianHCM a PM). but in a perfect world, Witch would be getting the accolades and record sales; they've nailed the particularly molten riffs which were first forged from the grimy pits of birmingham via the hammer and tongs of blacksmith Iommi.

most know J Mascis as guitar hero/frontman-by-default of Dinosaur Jr, combining over-the-top guitar histrionics w/ laconic singing, or maybe even his early 80s hardcore outfit Deep Wound, but he's also no stranger to the metal game, plying this trade via the tongue-in-cheek band Upsidedown Cross (and he may have had some involvement w/ Kilslug too, i can't recall). with Witch, he joins forces w/ two members of western MA's Feathers, more noted for their involvement w/ the freakfolk pastiche; this is way out of their normal sound. this is THE throwback lp of the year, if you are gonna get one.

Seer

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
sort of similar bass sound to fu manchu but without the rhythmic energy. but sadly a letdown after that -- the vocals are kind of lost and weak in the mix. e maj: I iii IV I. hmph.