Quantcast

Song of the Day (24May06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
you ever have those bands you like, which you can't believe didn't dominate and sell tons of records? The Delgados are one of those for me. these plucky scots took a classic DIY approach by forming their own label (Chemikal Underground, and over the course of several singles and about 5 outstanding records, pretty much laid out the last word of fusing a bleak world view w/ totally catchy melodies. even recording w/ Flaming Lips svengali Dave Fridmann (on '02's Hate couldn't bring their records to the masses, despite the insanely contagious title track "Hate is all You Need".

today's selection has a gorgeous melody hiding a cautionary tale of heroin use; for a single they re-recorded it using a kids' choir. this song features Alun on vocals, but Emma sang about half as well, so we'll get her in the SotD spotlight before too long.

No Danger

edit - the delgados are also into cycling (road, anyway), clear references being their name (edgar delgado), and the 1st two record titles (Domestiques, Peloton)

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Woa, the Flaming Lips, I just got the Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots album. It rocks, and it's playing right now on my iTunes. This Delgados song is a little slow and bland for my taste, but the Flaming Lips rock.