Quantcast

Song of the Day (25Mar06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Ween was always a band i dismissed based on the only song i'd ever heard of theirs, "Push The Little Daisies". turns out that was a stupid move; a friend of mine pushed Chocolate and Cheese into my hands and to told me to have at it, and i've been supping from their multi-varied banquet ever since. lesson learned - don't form an opinion based on a band's novelty hit. this is good advice for the Flaming Lips too.

today's song is from a catchall called Shinola Vol 1 and is utter remarkable at how close they come to sounding like Thin Lizzy. the ocals, song structure, even the lyrics are spot-on. i had to google this to make sure it wasn't a cover.

Gabrielle

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ween is good stuff, especially a lot of those songs that never made it onto the radio.

:thumb: for this one.

I gave yesterday's first track a listen again, and then the second track you posted, and they're just not my kind of music. The second track was a little better - it was kinda crazy, whereas the first one was dull for me.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
binary visions said:
I gave yesterday's first track a listen again, and then the second track you posted, and they're just not my kind of music. The second track was a little better - it was kinda crazy, whereas the first one was dull for me.
hey, that's cool. you gave it a shot w/ an open mind, that's all anyone can ask. if everyone liked all the same music, the world would probably be pretty dull. :)

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Da Peach is a big Ween fan.....apparently their goal was to do an album of every genre of music. apparently they even have a country album.....I've actually not partaken yet.

You and he should speak. He's got pretty diverse taste. Me? I just listen to Freebird over and over.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MMike said:
Da Peach is a big Ween fan.....apparently their goal was to do an album of every genre of music. apparently they even have a country album.....I've actually not partaken yet.

You and he should speak. He's got pretty diverse taste. Me? I just listen to Freebird over and over.
yeah, "piss up a rope" is a classic. that C&W record is good in small bits.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Ween is one of the great unknowns. They were introduced to me just this past year and I haven't been able to let go of their music. Here's one of MY personal favs from 12 Golden Country Classics:

Ween - Piss Up A Rope

*Edit* I didn't even see that this was song was mentioned. Oh well. BTW, thanks Narlus!