Quantcast

Song of the Day (26Aug06) [Touch and Go #7]

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the last entry in the Touch and Go spotlight series, Calexico is technically on sister in-house label Quarterstick, which is decidedly branched out from the T&G hardcore/punk/noise rock sound (though i think the 1st or 2nd 1/4 stick release was a pegboy record, who featured ex-Naked Raygun members). Calexico was a choice for Cinco de Mayo, as they have a very strong latin/mariachi feel from their proximity to that region (they live in tucson), but they certainly are a favorite of mine and i don't mind spreading the word a bit more. and they won out over fellow labelmates Pinback in that i can post my own pictures. :)

so, where were we? oh, multi-faceted band, featuring loads of different instrumentation, very strong songwriting, and an eclectic choice of cover songs (the last song here is a Love song, also chosen to honor the recent departure of Arthur Lee).

Glowing Heart of the World

Sonic Wind

Alone Again Or

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
This is a great band - thanks for introducing me to them. That's a really nice, straightforward cover of the Love song and I like it a lot. I also really dug that cover of Jesus & Tequila I heard before.

I checked out their website to see if they were coming around my area but they are not. They seem like they'd be a good band to see live.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've seen 'em 4 times and each time has been excellent. the only slight nit i have to pick w/ them is the setlist...it'd be nice for them to ditch 'crystal frontier' or 'not even stevie nicks' once in a while...the 1st time i saw them ('98?) they played "Glowing Heart of the World" which was unbelieveable, and why i posted it here; haven't seen them play it since. it's on a tour-only cd that's out of print; hard to believe they can cavalierly toss such a gem aside like that.

del, thanks for the other stuff you'd sent on too. good stuff.