Quantcast

Song of the Day (26Mar06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
you think the patchouli oil industry has gone downhill since the dawn of the 70s? Dungen is doing their best to revive the paisley, beads, hookah action and fuzzed out guitar of yesterday year. oh, and they sing in Swedish, too.

an unlikely combination for any sort of popularity in the US, but Dungen has been riding a decent groundswell since their 3rd _Ta Det Lungt_ record came out in '04 and fired up one hitters nationwide.

through a fair bit of luck, i happened to get a copy of their 1st lp when it came out; the recent expanded cd reissue contains a few other essential songs left from the original pressing. if you like guitar freakout stuff, you should be happy w/ this band.

Panda

from popmatters:
Describing the Dungen sound is difficult. From one end, you can talk up the psych craze of the record, its seemingly freeform acrobatics that plunge from a tight composition into mesmerizing instrumental expanse. Bands like Pink Floyd, Hawkwind, Traffic, and Television come to mind. And then there's the aforementioned tightness, the song structures almost straightforward and, at the end of the day, so accessible as to pretty much explain why this craze is happening. Ejstes comes from all over the musical map, though; his tastes range from the various rock acts we might expect to jazz and hip-hop, and it's perhaps in this correlation that Dungen's music is best explained -- that any music with free spirits is perhaps the largest inspiration of them all.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Interesting, the music sounds really good but I just can't quite get into it due to the lyrics. I'm definitely leaving this song in the playlist, though.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I pretty much hated Panda. Which song is that. I somehow have the whole Tat det Lugnt album. Did I get that from you or blind chance...? I really clueless here except that it might have come from a friend.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I liked it! Being lyrically retarded, I could care less if the lyrics aren't in English or Spanish. I almost always download your Song of the Day, and so far The Bats have been my favorite, with Tom Waits in second. Keep up the best thread on RM!

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
narlus said:
pretty sure Dungen writes all their material. could be wrong though; let me check the cd to see.
seemed like a cover. maybe it's just that it's been showing up on the random cycle of my itunes... I like the other stuff from that album much better.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
spincrazy said:
seemed like a cover. maybe it's just that it's been showing up on the random cycle of my itunes... I like the other stuff from that album much better.
just checked the disc...it's all credited to main Dungen guy Gustav Ejstes, who was responsible for all lyrics, music, vocals, guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, fiddle and flute.

DRB said:
I just threw up in my mouth.
how was the McMuffin renaissance?