Quantcast

Song of the Day (26May06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
The Leaving Trains were an offshoot from tiny but highly influential LA label Happy Squid, the garage label which launched The Urinals, and others like the Meat Puppets and Angst which like the Trains, also found them on SST later. the choice of recording outlets shows their transition from garage to punk pretty accurately.

the band was fronted by Falling James, who i'm not sure wore a dress as a stage prop or because he dug that sorta thing, but the music didn't suffer any. the record to get, and the one this song is from, is Kill Tunes, as it featured the Hofer brothers, guys who really brought the sound to a crashing high.

if you want an exhaustive listing of all the permutations the band's seen, check it here

Black

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Falling James probably looks just like what Janis Joplin does today, preserved with all that Jack Daniels and such. The dresses must be a label thing- the Meat Puppets wore a lot of them too.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
that photo scares me. and i'm not really a fan of the whole punk sound. B maj: I vi I vi I... etc. kinda "flat" sound. they're missing a whole part of the spectrum there :dead: . good energy, i suppose.