Quantcast

Song of the Day (27Aug06) [SST series start]

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

the last of the essential US/Punk labels i'll be showcasing...SST is probably the biggest player in the bunch so far (though i do think that Matador, for me, released the widest range and largest amount of great music), and if you don't have any SST records in yr collection, that's a goddamn travesty.

gotta start w/ Black Flag, as guitarist Greg Ginn was the prime mover in both band and label. notoriously antagonistic (cop melees and riots were not uncommon @ the early LA gigs; they grew their hair long for the Damaged tour and taunted the straight-edge punks who attended; later records were long instrumentals and wankfests 180 deg removed from the punk roots, etc), they totally changed the landscape of american music (at least the portion i was familiar and fond of; i don't think that Journey or Winger took notice) for the better.

most people associate Henry Rollins (ne Garfield) w/ Black Flag, but he was actually the 3rd singer, after Keith Morris (left to form Circle Jerks) and Dez Cadena (temporary fill-in). actually, henry was from DC and was in SOA (state of alert) prior to moving out to LA. once again, _This Band Could Be Your Life_ has a great read on the history of the band, and the passive/aggressive and maladjusted relationship that henry had w/ greg.

Nervous Breakdown

No Values

Rise Above

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!! One of my ALL TIME favorite bands. "My War" is pretty much the soundtrack of my highschool days.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Alright man! You got me in here with the SST flag. So many great bands on the SST label.

Hey do you remember their old letter head/tagline? "We may be broke, but we're still cooler than you!"

I am going to now go put on my SST "loser" t shirt.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Alright man! You got me in here with the SST flag. So many great bands on the SST label.

Hey do you remember their old letter head/tagline? "We may be broke, but we're still cooler than you!"

I am going to now go put on my SST "loser" t shirt.

i think that was sub pop (both shirt and slogan), but ginn's business practices didn't endear him to some of the SST bands (pretty sure Sonic Youth ended up suing him for their master tapes).