Quantcast

Song of the Day (27Mar06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
today's musician needs no introduction, unless you don't know his real name is Declan McManus. As Elvis Costello, however, a lot of people have at least a cursory knowledge of the man. he's had a very strong career and has branched out to scoring classical music and collaborating w/ such icons as paul mccartney and burt bacharach, but the true center-cut of his work is the 1st 4-6 records he released (possibly also including Blood and Chocolate; actually the recent The Delivery Man is quite good too).

he had one hell of a band w/ the Attractions, and the song we're gonna hear is from the 1st record w/ them, This Year's Model - the 1st record was a backing band called Clover who would also become The News, as in Huey Lewis...but back to the band, the proficiency of the band, backed w/ the utterly caustic and quite expressive lyrics, made Elvis stand out from his contemporaries.

Lipstick Vogue

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
narlus said:
you mean that old, ignorant n*****?

;)

elvis has seen the ways of his prior transgressions.
Yes, I know. Just having some fun.
Some of his words after Charles died were quite moving.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Mackie said:
Yes, I know. Just having some fun.
Some of his words after Charles died were quite moving.
That and the memory of the @ss whoopin' from Bonnie Bramlett.

This Year's Model IS the definitive Elvis recording, however some of my favorite tracks are on the Imperial Bedroom release.