Quantcast

Song of the Day (28Aug06) [SST #2]

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
catching up a little bit...#1 was a day late (was on the Cape, and couldn't access RM via the main page; figured it was down) so here's #2.

The Minutemen were, one could argue, the soul and guts of SST...3 friends united for a love of making music, hanging out, spreading their message, and rocking out. i never knew them while they were still extant (d boon died in a tragic car crash in '85), but they helped put SST on the map and drew in like-minded bands to the fold. they gradually grew out of their short blasts of bass-fueled punk (hence the 'minute' in their name), but the leftist bent of d boon's lyrics was still front and center, along w/ the unbelievably elastic playing of mike watt and the ultratight and propulsive drumming of george hurley (definitely one of the best technical drummers from a punk band).

anyone who is intrigued by what they hear here and on Netflix should grab and watch _We Jam Econo_, a documentary about the band which was released a couple of years ago.

Joe McCarthy's Ghost

Search

Cut

This Ain't No Picnic (awesome video, too)

History Lesson, Pt 2 (very poignant song about the roots of the minutemen)

i didn't put in any of their covers, but they did great ones of bands as diverse as Blue Oyster Cult, Creedence Clearwater Revival and Van Halen.

btw, watt's home page: http://www.hootpage.com/

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
good choice!

I also was made aware of their stuff long after D. Boones death. but the Firehose stuff did pick up and keep the Watt/Hurley rythm section in tact, and gave me a chance to see them together! (although not as prolific) I loved Firehose none the less!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
hey b-man, i saw firehose play too...great stuff. i like the 1st 2-3 records a lot. much different sound than the minutemen, but that's cool. eternally grateful to ed fromohio for having the balls to drive out to pedro and get hurley and watt playing music again.

watt played bass for the Stooges show i saw in dublin; awesomeness...i wished i'd randomly bumped into him around the city. i read his hootpage diary entry and he was staying about 2 blocks from where i lived.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
I remember the accident, one of the local music rags printed a picture of the crash site. It was barren desert with a bunch of Minutemen flyers littering the side of the highway. Still got some of their old vinyl...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
hey b-man, i saw firehose play too...great stuff. i like the 1st 2-3 records a lot. much different sound than the minutemen, but that's cool. eternally grateful to ed fromohio for having the balls to drive out to pedro and get hurley and watt playing music again.

watt played bass for the Stooges show i saw in dublin; awesomeness...i wished i'd randomly bumped into him around the city. i read his hootpage diary entry and he was staying about 2 blocks from where i lived.
Yep, I remember seeing them a couple of times and being right against the stage when Watt stretched those "bridge cable strings" soo far off the fretboard it looked like he had a bow and arrow!

I saw Watt for his "ball hog or tugboat" tour. his supporting cast wasn't the greatest the night we saw them but still it was a great show!

I think Santa Cruz skateboards used a bunch of SST stuff in their videos, and "brave captain" (one of my fav's by FH off of "ragin full on") was a great exposure to them for alot of my friends who weren't as into music as I was.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

I missed out on seeing the minutemen when they opened for REM on the Fables of the Reconstruction Tour, circa 85.

The first time I saw firehose, shirts were 7.00, and his hands and face were bandaged from burns received from fvcking around with a VW bus.