Quantcast

Song of the Day (29Mar06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Nikki Sudden died last Sunday. for those who don't know, he and his brother Epic Soundtracks' 1st band, the Swell Maps, did a lot of things for a number of bands. their debut single "Let's Build a Car" showed you could still be indepedent and forge through new ideas w/o having to hop on the punk bandwagon. one of the first post-punk bands, i guess. their influence was pretty clear on bands like Pavement, and though they just released two proper lps, they made their mark.

Nikki would go on to other projects, most notably the Jacobites with fellow SM alum Dave Kusworth, and he released a number of solo records too. as w/ some musicians, he played around a bit too carefree w/ drugs, and although i don't want to make assumptions about his early death, there's a pretty clear relation between courting a Johnny Tunders/Keith Richards persona, and dying at 49.

RIP, Nikki.

Evangeline

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Question about SOTD's?

Do the songs delete themselves after awhile? Some of the songs I've downloaded will no longer play because the original file can't be found anymore. I suspect that I'm just saving them to my cache and that the cache gets deleted every so often, but I was just wondering. All I know is most of my SOTD collection is gone now.:mad:

I'll try saving them to a different location from now on and see if that helps.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
jdschall said:
Question about SOTD's?

Do the songs delete themselves after awhile? Some of the songs I've downloaded will no longer play because the original file can't be found anymore. I suspect that I'm just saving them to my cache and that the cache gets deleted every so often, but I was just wondering. All I know is most of my SOTD collection is gone now.:mad:

I'll try saving them to a different location from now on and see if that helps.
Yes. Mine have too.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
really? they delete themselves?

odd. i've received a few things via YSI; definitely move them from yr cache. i always save them in a specific location, and as far as i can tell, they have never self-destructed and pulled a vanishing act.

the link itself is active for a finite time (i think it's 7 days or 25 downloads, whichever comes first).

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
they have never self-destructed and pulled a vanishing act.
I'm not that good at this downloading nonsense.

But I have the song titles to go off of when I look for stuff.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
I download the file to my desktop and then move it into a specific folder. From there it's on to the iPod. I have the complete catalog with maybe the exception of 2 or 3 days and have never had a problem playing the files.