Quantcast

Song of the Day (29May06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
easy choice for today...Flower was a slip-through-the-cracks punk/pop band from DC, who put out a couple of decent if under-recognized records and packed it in, like so many other bands. the two principals went on to get more fame (Ian James went from SY guitar tech to Cell, and Richard Baluyut formed Versus).

Memorial Day

you ever try to do an image search for something generic as 'flower', when you don't the blooming variety? it's not easy. so here's a picture of versus.

actually, i did find a pic of Flower:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
wow, that is a great song, and really is a polished version of the DC sound of that era! it reminds me of "Rites of Spring" in a way!

sweet choice!

you da mang, mang!:thumb:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
this is a cool one indeed :thumb: . let me start with what i do best, analyze the chords in a cold manner :D :

intro, A major: Iminor I4* Imajor643 -- , repeat
body of song: I6 I VI I64 a few times, then back to the intro chords with I64min substituted in for the first chord.
break section at 2min: sudden shift to G# (VII) for tension, then IV V I back to the intro, slower feel. i'm not so sold on this section. on the other hand, i applaud the band for trying to mix up tempos and textures (laying off on the drums for a bit, for example). ends with repeated I -- vii or V6, kinda ambiguous -- IV -- V ------

* don't know how to notate this, just an open A against a D, with E added in later for flavor