Quantcast

Song of the Day (30Mar06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
when PJ Harvey first burst onto the scene, via the frenetic singles of "Dress" and "Sheela-na-gig", the Lilith Fair movement was in full bloom. Paula Jean didn't want to go the mud baths w/ the chicks though, she wanted to rock out w/ the guys. and she's managed a very successful career along the way. She's lost some of the pure raw sexual frankness (see "Dry") along the way, and some of the primal energy from the early days, but her music has continued to hold interest and challenge the listener.

today's selection could be construed as a somewhat abnormal song for her, and it's not totally indicative of her typical song, but it's a brooding masterpiece. hanging out w/ Nick Cave taught her a few things along the way.

The River

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
narlus said:
when PJ Harvey first burst onto the scene, via the frenetic singles of "Dress" and "Sheela-na-gig", the Lilith Fair movement was in full bloom. Paula Jean didn't want to go the mud baths w/ the chicks though, she wanted to rock out w/ the guys. and she's managed a very successful career along the way. She's lost some of the pure raw sexual frankness (see "Dry") along the way, and some of the primal energy from the early days, but her music has continued to hold interest and challenge the listener.

today's selection could be construed as a somewhat abnormal song for her, and it's not totally indicative of her typical song, but it's a brooding masterpiece. hanging out w/ Nick Cave taught her a few things along the way.

The River

SHE IS SOO DAMN SEXY... maybe because she is so blunt... just makes me think she is one of those "BAD GIRLS" that want to try anything and will!!!:evil: she is a DIRTY DIRTY GIRL... gnar gnar... meeeeoooooooooowwww....:thumb:

*edit* I'd hit that!!!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Great pick!

I think my favorite PJ Harvey song is "Rid of me" It starts off the album (of the same title) really really quiet. (in a similar fashion to the begining of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon) You have strain to hear what's going on. On my first listen I turned the stereo up real loud to hear her. Right about then the song kicks in really freaking loud with PJ Harvey screaming at the top of her lungs:

"You're not rid of me
Yeah you're not rid of me
Yeah you're not rid of me"

It just kind of comes out of no where and kicks you in the ass. I think it's one of the coolest song intros ever done. It even works with repeated listens.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I'm not so sure. PJ Harvey is one of those women that look different in different situations.

I'm not so sure I'd hit this:

And her she's pretty homely looking as well:

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I've pretty much liked all her stuff. This is good too. I don't own any, but I probably should.

(edit) Dear Dog, N8's bday is a day before mine! Narlus, get me a better present tomorrow would ya?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
jdschall said:
I'm not so sure. PJ Harvey is one of those women that look different in different situations.

I'm not so sure I'd hit this:

And her she's pretty homely looking as well:
OK but chicks are just like 25% hotter with guitars... in this case Homely? maybe but with guitar? Hey she isn't bad!!!:thumb: