Quantcast

Song of the Day (31Aug06) [SST #4]

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Meat Puppets probably had their widest fame and biggest payday courtesy of Cobain's decision to not only cover a couple of their songs on the _Unplugged_ record, but also to invite Curt Kirkwood to play on the performance. but they'd been plowing the cowpunk pasture via their AZ roots since the 1st single they released in 1980. they were always a bit of an odd fit w/ the punk aesthetic of SST, bringing less amphetamine and more LSD into the mix; the grateful dead tendencies shone clear from _Up On The Sun_ and forward (though ZZ Top seemed to be a main driver from _Huevos_ forward, and personally i thought they lost plot after _Mirage_ which is my favorite record of theirs).

anyway, another solid band of the SST roster. and they did a devastating live version of "when the levee breaks".

New Gods

Hot Pink

Mirage

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I think both kirkwoods were at the taping. If I recall they were introduced as "The Brothers Meat". Chris Kirkwood and Mr. Cobain probably shared a needle after the show.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I was never a big Meat Puppets fan, kinda "soft" for me, but I can cetainly appreciate the impact they had in their time. If I was going to listen to some meat, this was more my speed...