Quantcast

Song of the Day (31Jul06)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
in 1980, for most amer/anglo-centric music fans, Wellington NZ was about as close as the 3rd moon of Jupiter. there was just no reason to think that anything terribly exciting or innovative might be happening down there. i know it's tough for kids to envision a world w/o the internet, where every kid's got their own blog and distribution is a mouse click away, but trust me, it happened.

so The Gordons grew into a formidable machine away from the knowing glances of the populace, a terrifying and shrieking mechanism. they outplayed Sonic Youth at their game when thurston was still popping zits in a mirror.

they later moved on to form Bailter Space (same members, different band and sound - more expansive and textured), and lived in NYC for a while but never sold as many records as they might have, and have retreated back to NZ. i don't think they are involved in music anymore, sadly.

Coalminers Song

plus they had a cool logo guy.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
while i approve that they're from nz, this track sounds like a loop of the same 4 sec x 2:30. plus they need to tune open strings :dead: . aiya.