Quantcast

Song of the Day [a running event]

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
since my Songs of the Day are no longer a daily event and have become sporadic, i've decided to build a Toshi-esque thread and keep 'em all in the same thread (if any mods w/ nothing to do want to merge all my other threads, feel free :monkey: ).

today's song is from arguably the most important band ever to be tagged 'alt.country'...Uncle Tupelo broke down a few barriers along the way from the black flag/hank williams hybrid of their first recordings, and by the time they rolled into the studio for the third, they had a lot of mileage behind them. it's debatable whether March 16-20 is their finest moment, but it's certainly got some great ones. an all acoustic affair, this was totally helped by a fantastic recording job by peter buck.

I Wish My Baby Was Born

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
graeme jefferies formed The Cake Kitchen after splitting from his brother Peter in their project called This Kind of Punishment. easily the most important musical family ever to come from New Plymouth, NZ, graeme's sonorous voice and cale-esque song writing can mesmerize quite easily. here's a song, commenting on the impending death of a friend.

Airships

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Jack Rose is a guitarist in avant/noise/rock band Pelt, but on his own he does steel-string acoustic (12 string, 6 string, lap steel, dobro...you name it) music of true beauty...a Fahey disciple for sure, but he's helped move the entire art form forward. a joy to listen to, and truly a nice guy too. transcendent show on saturday.

Cathedrals et Chartres

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
was that the Camper Van version? i downloaded it @ home but forgot to listen to it.

today's selection is a classic hiphop track from the best of the wu tang...GZA (soft 'g', please...think jizza) is the best of that talented crew, and by all accounts _Liquid Swords_ is a stone cold classic in the field of hiphop.

cold world

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
today's selection is a classic hiphop track from the best of the wu tang...GZA (soft 'g', please...think jizza) is the best of that talented crew, and by all accounts _Liquid Swords_ is a stone cold classic in the field of hiphop.
not going to deny the status of Liquid Swords being an absolute classic, but do not deny the awesome talent of the Ghostface Killah. if i ever had to pick a 'best of' from the WU, it would take many many hours and many many Dutchmasters to decide between the two aforementioned.

don't have a link to any audio (sorry!), but I high reccomend checking out anything by Ghostface, most importantly the album Ironman, although his newest release, More Fish, is pretty dope too.

more (real) hiphop! super stoked to see some people here that appreciate it!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
a good way to start off the weekend morning is by a soundtrack selection from John Zorn. he's got close to 20 cds in his filmworks series, and i just picked up this one (] Filmworks XVII - Notes on Marie Menken - Ray Bandars) a couple of nights ago. once again, excellent stuff, and he's w/ a couple of regulars (drummer kenny wolleson, percussionist cyro baptista).

from the tzadik site:
Featuring two members of the exciting trio Rashanim with drum master Kenny Wollesen and Zorn himself on sax, this is a poignant and varied score for a new documentary about elusive film maverick Marie Menken who was a close friend of Andy Warhol, Kenneth Anger, Stan Brakhage, etc. and an important member of the first generation of American Experimental Filmmakers. Also included are five unique pieces of polyrhythmic polyphony for percussion and African thumb pianos, painting a picture of legendary West Coast skull collector Ray Bandar. Poignant exotica, moonlit moods, bizarre percussion and several tracks of manic intensity.
menken

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
kinda blurring the line between punk and power pop, SF's Flaming Groovies were a band a bit before its time. though i never got anything else from them, the title track to 1971's Teenage Head is a blistering paean to growing up. essential.

Teenage Head

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
as mentione before, The Pernice Brothers would be ruling the AM radio airwaves had they come 3 decades prior. such sweetly lilting melodies hide a dark world view at times, but not always. they are capable of some great cover versions (new order, chameleons, and as previous incarnation Scud Mountain Boys they did a killer cover of "Gypsies Tramps and Thieves"), and joe also did the authoring for the Smiths' _Meat is Murder_ book which was published as part of the 33 and 1/3rd series.

Hgh as a Kite

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
belated tribute to one of america's greatest artists...he was probably an erratic asshole off the stage and out of the limelight, but the power he brought during a performance, and the impact on the next generations to follow, cannot be underestimated.

Think

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
so the new Dinosaur Jr album, Beyond, leaked yesterday. so far, so good. the 2nd song, 'crumble', is excellent.

and this is a good segue into the next phase of SotD...i've decided to have some fun w/ covers...some obvious, some obscure, hopefully all to be well-received.

and to kick it off, i bring you dinosaur jr's take on frampton's arena rock chestnut:
show me the way

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
their last good

Do you think Nike will give them a cut of these?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Cool, more crazy covers! I love the covers. Of course I already have that one but still. Bring them on. My favorite that you posted so far was the acoustic AC-DC cover by the Scottish dude. I always picture Groundskeeper Willy singing it and laugh my ass off every time it comes on rotation in my iPod.

"arr, you, poodle walkin' cheese eater, shook me all night long"

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ok...back to the early stuff, at least where i am concerned...probably THEE formative band of my youth, Blue Oyster Cult still earn a fair bit of my listening time these days, and i was fairly chuffed when fave acid-folksters Espers decided to cover "Flaming Telepaths".

not only did they do justice to it, they added an entirely new dimension. amazing.

Flaming Telepaths

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
in the 80s, guy kyser and roger kunkel turned electric guitar music into twin firebrands of energy, but still firmly rooted in the basic band format. truly an under-appreciated band, maybe because of guy's raspy and gruff vocals. this cover of the hazelwood/sinatra chestnut just burns...

Some Velvet Morning

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
ok...back to the early stuff, at least where i am concerned...probably THEE formative band of my youth, Blue Oyster Cult still earn a fair bit of my listening time these days, and i was fairly chuffed when fave acid-folksters Espers decided to cover "Flaming Telepaths".

not only did they do justice to it, they added an entirely new dimension. amazing.
Funny. I listened to a lot of BOC myself back when I was a wee one. I wore the grooves flat on my copy of BOC's ET double live LP which a pilfered from my older sister.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Totally off topic, but I never noticed Mogwai's "Auto Rock" and "Were No Here" were in the Miami Vice movie until I was listening to Mr. Beast this morning.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
85 f/1.2L?! ;) lots of the photos on http://rion.nu are with the 85/1.8 as well, assuming you didn't go buck-wild with the L...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
no way, the 1.2L is crazy expensive, and slow to focus due to the amount of glass. studio, not live music. the 85 could be the fastest focusing lens i have, and is amazingly sharp. love it.