Quantcast

Song of the Day (beta release)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i figure i'll give the weekenders the 1st crack...here's my attempt at proselytizing songs which i think deserve a wider audience...podcasting sounds like too much trouble, but this shouldn't be too bad.

i figured this would be the best way to start things off, a little ditty from Thinking Fellers Union Local 282:

narlus spectre

enjoy.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
i figure i'll give the weekenders the 1st crack...here's my attempt at proselytizing songs which i think deserve a wider audience...podcasting sounds like too much trouble, but this shouldn't be too bad.

i figured this would be the best way to start things off, a little ditty from Thinking Fellers Union Local 282:

narlus spectre

enjoy.

Got it!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
The vocals had almost a bluegrass feel, and the lead guitar almost a surf feel with the twangyness of it... I was different. the recording sounded low tech which was cool...

very eclectic throughout the song... it went through a couple of different style phases all in one song...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'll try not to tread down the same tracks w/ this little experiment, but i thought it was an appropriate song to christen the series with. :)

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
this song makes me think of the endless summer. i dont know why but the opening part before the singing just automatically makes me think of the film.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
:mumble: Thanks for the Trojan!!:mumble:
Kidding.
Great Idea. :cool: I sometimes go hunting for the random artists you mention but usually have no luck due to obscurity. I liked it. Fun guitar. Is this going to be a daily thing, or weekly?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it's gonna be a daily thing as long as i can remember to upload from my home PC before work...i don't want to upload files of a few MB from my work account.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
gnurider1080 said:
this song makes me think of the endless summer. i dont know why but the opening part before the singing just automatically makes me think of the film.
Endless summer is one of my favorite all time movies!!! I have 2 original movie posters from the 60's that I got from a friend who owned a poster shop in the mid-late 60's... I will have to listen to the song again and see if I can pick that similarity up!:clue:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well this was a lot more successful than i'd expected...just don't purchase _Mother of all Saints_ from the Thinking Fellers and expect it to sound exactly like this ;)

anyway, i've got tomorrow's all lined up, and will start gleaning ideas for the week.

thanks for the feedback everyone (good and bad); i will definitely mix the selections up, so if you don't like what you hear initially, chances are good i'll get something up yr alley at some point.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
brungeman said:
very eclectic throughout the song... it went through a couple of different style phases all in one song...
not surprising when you consider the Fellers had 4 different people who were songwriters in the band. nice pick up on yr part, btw. :thumb:

i miss seeing those guys (and gal) live; they were a great live band.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
narlus said:
not surprising when you consider the Fellers had 4 different people who were songwriters in the band. nice pick up on yr part, btw. :thumb:

i miss seeing those guys (and gal) live; they were a great live band.
from when and where? were they a local band for you? and I take it from your above statement that they are no longer together? if not what are the projects they are doing now?:clue: :)

its good stuff keep the good stuff spinning!!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
they were a SF band (via Iowa, of all places) which lasted from '89 to '01 (but there was a six year gap between that last lp and the one before). they did tour a lot, though, and i probably saw 'em 4 times in all. not sure what they are up to; anne eickelburg (bass player) used to do some reviews for _Your Flesh_ mag and last i heard was a real estate broker in the bay area. not sure what the others are up to.